Chapter 3

3th POV

'Thank you so much for babysitting, E,' Mal said, picking up Gianna while Ben grabbed the diaper bag.

'No problem,' Evie said. 'Did you have fun?'

'Depends on what you think is fun. If you enjoy talking to the most boring people ever who don't even like you, then yes,' Mal said. 'Oh, and tomorrow we have another ball, by the way. Keep on spreading the fun.'

'Another one?' she asked.

Mal nodded. 'Unfortunately, yes.'

'Cinderella's having another charity ball,' Ben said.

'I thought she just had one two weeks ago,' Evie said.

'She did,' Ben said. 'I think she's bored or something.'

'Can imagine that with a dull husband like hers,' Mal said.

'What charity is it for?' Evie asked.

'Uhm, not sure,' Ben said. 'Something with children I think. Or animals. Or maybe a disease.'

'I can see how you confuse those,' Evie said.

'Who do you think Chad will take as his date this time?' Mal asked Ben.

'I think he's already gone at least once with every available girl in our grade,' Ben said.

'That guy has a problem,' Evie said.

'Problems,' Mal corrected her.

'I'll pray for the girl who marries him one day,' Ben said.

'Like he'll ever settle,' Evie said. 'The guy can't even choose which cereal he wants to eat at breakfast. He just stands there looking at the cereals until the bell rings and he still hasn't made up his mind.'

'As I said, problems,' Mal said.

Ben walked to the door. 'Shall we?'

'Oh right,' Mal said, walking to the door too.

'Goodnight guys,' Evie said.

'Night,' they said and left.

__________________________________________________________________________

'I just got a call that they want me to be there tomorrow already,' Ben said. 'Instead of monday.'

'Be where tomorrow?' Mal asked him, rocking Gianna in her arms.

'In France,' Ben said. 'Remember, the business trip.'

'Oh right,' Mal said. 'And when will you be back?'

'Next week on sunday,' Ben said. 'But I'll try to cut it short.'

'You better,' Mal said. 'I don't know if I can miss you that long.'

'You'll survive,' Ben assured her.

'Maybe I'll have to get a boy on the side to prevent myself from getting depressed from loneliness,' Mal said dramatically.

'Luke would be happy to help you out,' Ben said, chuckling.

'Or maybe Chad,' Mal said. 'We'll be a trio.'

'I'm sure they'd both love that idea,' he said.

Mal grinned. 'I'm gonna get Gianna ready,' she said, walking to the bathroom. 'You also better be ready when I'm done.'

'Breakfast won't walk away, you know,' Ben said.

'But I will if you're not ready in fifteen minutes,' Mal said. 'I mean it.'