Epilogue (Part Two) | A Human Tradition

Ochaco's Pov.

  "What are your human traditions for mates?" Izuku wondered. 

  "Hm... Well... Unfortunately, people don't stick in relationships as well as sirens seem to," she started. "I guess you could say we try dating a bunch of people to see who we truly love. Some people date a lot, some people don't. It varies per person."

  "That really strange... Sirens usually find their forever mate on the first try..." Izuku told her. "It's why so many of us have matching conches... Anything else?"

  "That's what's called dating or having a boyfriend or girlfriend. But if you truly love each other and stay in that relationship for a few years or however long, we do a thing called marriage," she explained.

  When she looked into his emerald eyes, she could tell he wanted to hear more about it. She gladly went on. 

  "Usually, one of the people bends down on their knee and proposes, asking them to marry them. And then they go through a whole process and there's a party, and that usually means they'll stay together forever," she continued. "It's like saying you'll always and forever love each other. In most cases at least."

  "That sounds wonderful," he beamed at her. His signature cinnamon roll smile of course. 

  It was wonderful! She wanted that for her and Izuku someday... It didn't matter whether they were on land or at sea, as long as she was with him. She hoped that he wished the same thing for them. 

  "It is," she smiled back. 

  "I have something to ask you," Izuku told her after a moment.

  "Really?" she tilted her head to the side slightly. 

  "Yeah," he clarified. "I'm not sure if you'll like or hate thing surprise... I hope you like it though!"

  She wondered what it was! What could it possibly be? There were so many secrets that the ocean held! Could it be something she knew about already? Or perhaps it would completely blow her away! 

  She waited in anticipation, her impatience growing. 

  "It's too bad I can't bend down on one knee because I have a tail... But..." he took a small box and opened it to reveal a beautiful ring! It had a large diamond in the middle, and small shells and shards of sea glass decorated the ring part. It didn't quite connect at the bottom though because of the siren tail the ring curved into! It was absolutely gorgeous! 

  'Wait a minute... Is this really happening!?'

  "Ochaco... I wanted to say that I love you so, so much..." he started. "You're my everything! My whole world. You've changed my life in so many different ways! You've been with me during my highs and lows, and you've never judged me for crying so much. As soon as I heard about this custom, I knew you would want this somewhere in the future. So, if you're ready... Would you be my wife?"

  She cupped a hand to her mouth in surprise. This was actually happening!? He was proposing to her!? 

Izuku's Pov.

  About a month or two ago, when he met Ochaco's parents, he asked them a question. 

  That question was one of the most important things he'd ever asked. 

  "Right... I need to give them the potions," Ochaco remembered.

  "Actually I will!" Izuku blurted, stopping her. This was most likely the only time he'd get this chance. 

  "Okay," she handed them to him.

  "We'll meet you there in a second!" he called back. He didn't want to leave her for too long. 

  He swam up to the surface and swam nearby Ochaco's parents.

  "What did you to our daughter?" her father growled.

  "She-She's down there, waiting for you," he told him.

  "What do you mean?" her mom asked.

  "Well... You need to drink this," he held out the potions to them.

  "What's in it?" her dad took the bottle from him.

  "Maybe it's best you didn't know..." he rubbed the back of his head. "Anyway... There's something important I wanted to ask you."

  They looked at him, waiting for a response.

  "It's just that... I love your daughter so much... She's the most wonderful, perfect thing that ever existed! She's always so thoughtful and cheerful and looks out for everyone even though she doesn't need to," he fidgeted, scared at what their reply would be for the last part of what he was saying. "I heard of a human tradition called "marrying" and I want to propose to Ochaco!"

  They just stared at him in surprise for a few moments.

  "Then I give you my blessing," Mr. Uraraka told him. "But don't break her heart or else."

  "Don't worry... All of Ochaco's friends already threatened about that..." he rubbed the back of his head. "But I won't! Thank you so much!"

  It was already that day. The day he was going to propose. 

  "I have something to ask you," Izuku told her after a moment.

  "Really?" she tilted her head to the side slightly.

  "Yeah," he nodded. "I'm not sure if you'll like or hate thing surprise though... I hope you like it though!"

  "It's too bad I can't bend down on one knee because I have a tail... But..." he took a small box from his satchel and opened it. The ring inside was worth a fortune, crafted by a jeweler. He collected all the little shells and sandglass, but the rest wasn't something he could find so he needed to get a jeweler. 

  It was all worth it when the look of surprise and joy crossed her features. 

  "Ochaco... I wanted to say that I love you so, so much..." he started. "You're my everything! My whole world. You've changed my life in so many different ways! You've been with me during my highs and lows, and you've never judged me for crying so much. As soon as I heard about this custom, I knew you would want this somewhere in the future. So, if you're ready... Would you be my wife?"

  He didn't practice any of that... It was the words that poured out of his heart. 

  She cupped a hand to her mouth.

  He smiled at her, scared of her reply. 

  "Yes!" she shouted. Then she flung her arms around his neck. 

  He found himself crying tears of joy, this moment was something he'd never forget.