Chapter Twelve: Acceptance

~For Penny. Rest in peace, sweet lady ❤~

After a while, Aiden and I basked naked in the afterglow of yet another round of intense orgasms. We were snuggled up in Jo's bed, whose frame sat in a splintered heap on the floor, exactly like mine. My head rested on Aiden's bare chest, eyes drooping as he ran his fingertips slowly up and down my shoulder.

Neither of us spoke, not that there was a need for words. Our bodies had said everything for us. It was a comfortable silence, filled with warmth and peace.

That is until Linc busted in through my bedroom window.

On the third floor.

How in the hell did he do that?

Glass sprinkled the hardwood floor between the crumbled beds, clinking and clacking in varying tones. Fortunately, I was next to the far wall, so none of the shards got me. Unfortunately, Aiden was in the middle, so he got the brunt of glass shrapnel. And fortunately again, the tiny cuts he sustained healed almost instantly.

I glared up at Linc with the little energy I had left. "What the hell, Linc?"

"Don't you what-the-hell me." He glared back, gray eyes carrying the intensity I wished mine could at the moment. "What in the ever-lovin' fuck are you thinkin'? Datin' a leech?"

"Sure, talk about me like I'm not here." Aiden sighed, casually throwing his arms behind his head. "It's not like I have feelings or anything."

"Fuck your feelins', parasite." Linc spat.

I sat up, clutching a sheet to my chest. "Hey, that is completely uncalled for!"

"Plus, we're not dating." Aiden threw in, eyes closing. He peeked at me a second later, curious and uncertain. "Are we?"

"No." I shook my head. "I don't think so...do you?"

I had never thought to put a label on what I had with the members with Camp Sec and Dean Lachlan. Were we friends? Dating? Courting? Friends with benefits? I just wasn't sure.

"Oh, so y'all just fuck buddies?" Linc was fuming, fists balled tight by his sides. "Is that what this is?"

Aiden shrugged. "I honestly don't think it's any of your fucking business."

Linc's gaze widen, his jaw dropped. He started to argue, but I cut him off. "He's right, Linc. What I do is none of your business. Just because we have history does not mean that you have any say in my personal affairs. I'm an adult, and I'm allowed to sleep with whomever I like."

He looked like I'd hit him upside the head with a brick.

When he finally recovered, Linc approached to snatch me by the wrist. "Wrong." He growled, trying to haul me out of bed. "You're an eighteen-year-old little girl actin' out. Now get some clothes on and--"

Aiden took Linc by the throat so quick he was a blur.

"Never," he shook Linc, and slammed him against the outside of my bathroom door. "ever put your filthy hands on the queen in my presence." He shook Linc again. "Understand, deviling?"

Deviling?

What the hell was that?

Linc was struggling to breath, gasping for air while clawing at Aiden's grip around his neck. His sights darted to me over Aiden's shoulder, fearful.

"Aiden, let him go." I stood, holding the sheet tight both in front of and behind me. "Aiden!"

Reluctantly, Aiden exhaled a childish, "ugh, fine," and released Linc.