Prologue

He slammed his fist down on his desk jarring everything on it. His cold eyes bore down into the man that stood across from him hoping not to show the fear he felt inside. He could not lose control.

"I can't believe he made that move. Didn't I tell you to watch him closely?" The man behind the desk pushed himself up and began pacing. The black of his suit stood out in sharp contrast to the beige walls that surrounded him. Only the bright colored paintings broke up the boredom of the room. The man though was anything but boring.

His suit was expensively cut with gold studs on the sleeves and an emerald tie clasp that sparkled with every movement. His silver hair was trimmed and thick. He was proud of the fact that he had a full head of it. There was no need for fake hair for him. He only had the real thing in everything.

He leaned down over his desk bracing himself with both arms. The other man watching him stood ready to receive the brunt of the other's anger. It was expected. The messenger was the one who got shot especially if they were the one who didn't follow orders in the first place. Instead of anger, he got a very surprising reaction.

Laughter burst from the man as he flung his head back. His eyes danced with mirth. Thin lips stretched into a sadistic smile.

"This will turn out better than I had planned. He's good. He's very good, but not near as good as I am." His eyes met the other man's confused look. "Stay in the shadows. Keep me updated. He thinks he has double-crossed me. What he doesn't know is that I'm one step ahead."

Dismissed, the man walked out of the room closing the door on a laugh that bordered on malicious. It was a sound that followed him down the elevator and out into the busy street. He did not envy the traitor.