Chapter 18

The edge of the cave entrance was all rock. Vince climbed out first, then turned to help her get her footing. There were many crevices, but none were big enough for her shoe to fit in. They stepped into the sunlight and waited for their eyes to adjust to the brightness. Once that was done, Vince directed her attention on the path they were to go down. She could not see a path, but followed him trusting he knew the way as they began their trek from the base of the mountain into the woods.

Since there didn't seem to be any smooth path from the ground below into the hole-like cave they had climbed out of, Ranalla doubted that anyone could have found them. Their underground chamber had been about eight feet long and six feet high, but looked directly up to the sky. On a rainy day it would have taken the water right in without a complaint. She was thankful the skies were clear. Being trapped in a flooded cave was not one of her ambitions.

At the base of the mountain, Ranalla found they had to climb down further still. She carefully placed each foot on the same rocks that Vince had just used and held onto the side of the mountain for support. The further along they went, she was able to use saplings growing out of the crevices for support. Eventually trees were all around them, but they were still maneuvering down a rocky incline. Soon as they reached the bottom, Vince turned to help her jump the last three feet.

She rubbed her hands on her jeans and examined the thick forest they were now in. She had no idea where they were or where they were going. Vince pulled out a compass and studied it. When he was satisfied, he looked at her.

"If you need a drink or a snack go for it. Now's the time."

She looked at him with wide eyes. "We just ate."

Vince laughed. "We've been climbing down that mountain for the last two and a half hours."

Ranalla looked at her watch and gasped in disbelief. It had been over two hours. She followed Vince to a soft spot under a tree. They each took their backpacks off and sat down. Reaching inside hers, she found a well-stocked supply of food.

"Let's eat anything that will spoil first." She nodded in reply.

She pulled out two apples and two bottles of water. They ate in silence.

Once he finished the water from his bottle, he looked at it as though he would find needed answers in it. "Put the trash back in the bag. This is the last of the water bottles. From here on, we use creek water."

"Is that safe?"

"I have purification tablets in my bag along with two canteens that we'll use. There's fresh water in them now, but we'll need some from nature before long." With that he opened the bag he was carrying and handed her canteen, heavy because it was already filled with water.

"We need to get moving on." He stood up and grabbed his own backpack to put on. She followed his example.

"Do you think they know we escaped?"

"Doubt it."

She paused in straightening the pack and looked at him. "I hear something else in your voice."

He sighed and looked at her. "I've got a gut feeling."

"Well, what is it?"

He turned around and faced her. His eyes were hard and his face was set in frustration. "They should not have found the cabin so quickly. They should not have passed by so slowly overhead the first few times. They should not have known any living being was in that cabin."

Her eyes widened. "They were told."

He nodded. "That's all I can guess."

She shook her head. "I didn't tell anyone."

He laughed. "I know. Someone else did."

"Who?"

His laughter turned to sadness. "I don't know. Very few know of this place. I hope I'm wrong." Before she could ask any more disturbing questions, he turned to walk. "Let's go before I'm proved wrong again."

They walked for several more hours before Vince held his hand up. He put his finger to his lips to sign she needed to be quiet, then signaled for her to stay still. He moved on and was swallowed up by the descending darkness. Ranalla knew it wasn't as late as it appeared, but the trees above them were so thick that they blocked out the sunlight.

Through the increasing shadows, Vince appeared with a relieved smile on his face. "Come on. The cave is up ahead and everything looks fine."

It wasn't long before they were settled in a dry cave. Vince left her alone again as he gathered kindling for a fire. The chilly night made the warmth from the flames a welcome addition to their temporary abode. Ranalla's eyes inspected the cave and noticed it was more like a deep indention in the rock. It was barely seven feet tall and went back into the rock about six feet before it stopped.

She pulled out the last of the sandwiches and some cheese sticks for them. They ate quietly and listened to the sounds of nature around them. It was the time of day for animals to quiet down and return to the security of their holes and nests. On the forest floor the howls of wolves and other animals she couldn't identify filled the air. A shiver ran through Ranalla. As a city girl, she was not used to all this. Scenes from the various horror movies she had seen began to run through her mind.

Vince noticed and shifted closer to her. "No need to be afraid. The fire will keep animals at bay."

"What about the two legged kind?" She was unsure if she was more afraid of a wild animal or being discovered by those that wanted her dead.

"I figure we have a couple of days before they even think we made it. Though I doubt it from what they blew the cabin up with."

She gazed into the flickering flames. "I still don't get it. I'm a nobody. Why kill me?"

Vince turned to her and rubbed his finger down her cheek. "Don't dwell on it. Let's just focus on getting out of here."

"You said a safe house?"

"Yes. One that very few know about."

She turned from the fire and looked into his eyes. The flames were reflected within them, giving him a dangerous look.

"You're still holding stuff back from me, aren't you?"

He wanted to lie, but the trust in her eyes wouldn't let him. "Yes. Yes, I am."

She stared at him and waited for him to tell her more. "I can't tell you any more yet."

After a moment, she nodded. "What's the plan for sleeping tonight?"

"Well, we each have a sleeping bag with us." He noticed her surprised look. "They are wound up very tight and small. It won't be the Ritz, but it's better than the ground."

It wasn't long before the bedrolls were out and zipped up together. He glanced at her when he was done. "I hope that's okay. It's going to get chilly tonight."

She nodded. "No problem. I don't want to sleep alone."

He smiled. "I was hoping you'd say that."