Chapter 8

As Ranalla showered, the streams of water hitting her body felt so good that her mind began to clear. Here she was in the middle of nowhere with some man named Vincent de Marte. Not only did he lock all the windows and doors but also the kitchen cabinets. And during all of this, she ate popcorn with him while they watched a movie. Maybe the shower was not doing such a good job after all.

When she had escaped into her room, she had paced the length of it several times before stopping to sniff the air. It was then she realized that it had been almost two days since she last showered. Maybe that would help her think more clearly.

Once her shoulder length hair was rinsed, she got out of the shower and used the robe on the back of the door. She found a hairbrush in one of the drawers. It didn't take her long to brush her wet hair. She walked into the bedroom and looked in the dresser for something to sleep in. What she found was not anything she would have felt comfortable in. Every piece was in her size, but it was all satin and lace. She preferred shorts and tank tops.

Pulling open a lower drawer, she found exactly what she was looking for. A short time later, finally comfortable in a pair of black short shorts and a maroon t-shirt, she slid into the bed.

As she reached to turn the bedside light off, the door opened. She sat up staring at Vince as he walked in closing the door behind him. Without looking at her, he began unbuttoning his shirt.

"Whoa! What are you doing?" She scrambled up against the headboard and pulled the sheet with her. Her eyes were wide. No murder, but rape. That was his plan. She had let her guard down so he had the advantage.

He stopped halfway through unbuttoning his shirt. "I'm getting ready for bed."

"In here?" Her voice squeaked.

"I'm not sleeping on the couch if that is what you meant." He rolled his eyes and finished unbuttoning.

"I'll sleep there." She jumped out of the bed and grabbed a pillow to take with her.

Her way was blocked by his hand on the closed door. Terror rose up within her. She was fully aware of his now naked chest. She tried not to look at it. Instead she focused on the muscular arm blocking her. Not much of a better idea.

"Get back in bed, Ranalla. Your virtue is safe." His voice sounded weary.

She turned to look at him. A part of her ached for him, a part she was desperately beating down and putting it back in its place.

"Why here? There are other rooms."

"Those are locked and have no beds in them. This is the only bed and I'm too tired to look for anything else right now."

She eyed him warily.

"I promise I won't touch you without your permission."

He seemed sincere. With a short nod, she pulled back and made her way to the far side of the bed. It wasn't like she had much of a choice. She crawled back under the covers and moved as close to the edge of the bed as she could without falling off. It was only then that she realized that the flashlight she had put aside as a weapon was on the other side of the bed. To move now was to only draw his attention. He was already too good at guessing her next move.

As she lay rigid, she could hear him getting undressed. Ranalla closed her eyes and tried not to listen to the sounds of his shirt hitting the floor. Mentally she was calculating the steps to the door and what weapons were within reach, the books. When she heard his jeans unzipping, she wanted to bolt out of the room.

The covers shifted and the bed dipped under his weight. She held her breath, and it wasn't until he settled down on his side that she let it out. She heard him reach out and turn off the light throwing the room into total darkness.

She stared into the dark and listened. Not a sound could be heard until his voice reached her.

"Goodnight, Ranalla."

She turned her head just slightly. "Goo...goodnight."

She didn't move. The sound of his breathing evened out. It was only then that she relaxed. Hours later she finally fell asleep. She was too afraid to make a move to escape. He was too close.

Once Ranalla allowed herself to drift off to sleep, she fell into a deep slumber. Her body was tired from tensing and waiting on something to happen. Exhaustion finally won out.