Chapter 23

"Double crossing me, Vince?" Sheldon swallowed and pulled back. He still had a firm grip on Ranalla, but his eyes were on the gun.

"Let's just say I was never on your side in the first place." Vince's voice was low and steady. "Let her go."

"Got the hots for her? Is that what this is about?" Sheldon chuckled. "I don't mind sharing, man, but at least let me get her knocked up first."

A growl issued from Vince's mouth. Ranalla couldn't see him, but her heart quickened as she realized he hadn't really betrayed her. She felt dizzy from the sudden shift in emotion as the scene around her moved like a kaleidoscope.

"I said let her go." His teeth were clinched as he spat the words out.

The smile on Sheldon's face melted away at the seriousness of Vince's words. He took his hands off Ranalla and allowed her to quickly take a few steps back until she was slightly behind Vince. Sheldon held his hands up in the air.

"What's up, Vince? I don't understand." He shook his head and stared at Vince in an attempt to make sense of it all.

"Let's just say...." Vince's words were cut short as the sharp sound of a rifle echoed in the air. Instinctively, Vince reached out and pushed Ranalla behind him. He looked around for where the sound came from and where the bullet hit. It was only when he focused on Sheldon did he realize who had been shot.

Sheldon's eyes were wide as blood spread out on his chest. The dark red color gracefully moved from the bullet hole outward in evidence that he actually had a heart. Gaping at them in surprise, he fell to his knees before falling face first onto the ground with a soft thud.

Vince whipped around behind and looked into the trees. He grabbed Ranalla and began running in the opposite direction. She stumbled as she followed him. He was not slowing down for her.

They pushed through tree limbs and slid down embankments. Once Ranalla tripped and landed on her face. As Vince pulled her up roughly, she spit out leaves and dirt. He pulled her on. No words were said. They saved their breath for running.

No noises could be heard behind them. It appeared they weren't being followed, but that knowledge didn't slow them down. In fact, Vince ran faster. Eventually, he stopped so they could each catch their breath.

As Ranalla sat down on the ground, he looked around for any movement or sound. "You've got just a few minutes before we have to go again."

"Go where?"

"The safehouse."

"It really does exist?"

Vince looked at her. "I told you to trust me."

"You..."

He shook his head. "I'll explain later. Save your breath. You're going to need it."

Ranalla nodded. It was just a few moments later when Vince motioned for her to get up. "Time to go."

She followed him for another hour. They didn't run this time but walked at a very fast pace. Her side was killing her, but she refused to let him know. She wanted to keep up and get to safety.

Vince began to slow down as the trees began to thin out. Ranalla saw a log cabin nestled in an opening between the trees as she stepped around him. It was rather large compared to the one they had fled. This dwelling with only one story had a large porch across the front. The logs had been recently maintained and did not show the dark grey wreathing that many did over time. The front of the cabin had large windows that would let in the sunlight. Behind it was a lake that reflected the mountains, giving a breathtaking view.

He didn't let her linger long. He began walking up to the door of cabin. "Come on. You haven't had enough shocks for the day." He smiled slightly as he opened the door and stepped back for her to enter.

She frowned in confusion as she stepped into the coolness of the large living room. It was lined with the same type of logs as the outside of the cabin. At the far end was a stone fireplace with a moose head hanging from it. The furniture was all leather and obviously of good quality. It was the typical hunting cabin, though the size was bigger and the furniture screamed expensive.

She was about to turn and ask Vince what was up when she heard a noise coming from what appeared to be the kitchen off to the right of the fireplace. She looked over at it as a figure stepped out of the shadows.

Ranalla gasped. "Mom?"

The woman smiled hesitantly. Her pleasant face brightened up as she gazed on Ranalla. The jeans and flannel shirt she wore made her seem to fit in perfectly with the cabin. Her hair was now cut short and was a dark brown color instead of the blond her husband had forced her to dye it. Bright green eyes sparked at the sight of her daughter after so many years.

"Yes, baby, it's me."

"How? I thought you were dead." Ranalla wanted to run to her mother, but the shock of it all had her rooted to the spot.

"She should have been." The voice that came from the shadows behind her mother stopped Ranalla cold. With just a slight movement, another figure materialized. Her mother's face was devoid of the initial pleasure of seeing her daughter. Fear and disgust replaced it.

Ranalla glared at the new person. "Father."