587 miles and back (1/2)

There were so many things wrong with this chapter. First off, it was wayyy too fast-paced, and Ray was really out-of-character in some scenes. I wrote this in a hurry to get an update out. I promise I'll try to make the next part better, or edit this chapter in the future, but for now—please enjoy.

Ray was leaving.

And this time, Emma knew when he was coming back.

Emma didn't feel sad—she didn't want to, for Ray's sake—but she couldn't ignore the growing pit in her stomach as Ray loaded his suitcase on the airport check-in.

Ray was going to Korea, 587 miles away from Japan.

Months before, Ray made sure to get a job closest to Japan, their current home, as much as possible. Korea was his best bet.

"Someone's got to earn the money," Ray looked at Emma, patting her shoulder reassuringly. "Take care of everyone for me, alright?"

Emma was tongue-tied. She mumbled a small "sure," and followed Ray to a nearby cafe while he waited for his flight, ignoring the loud TV that displayed news of a dangerous disease all in the way in America.

But Ray wasn't leading her to the cafe. He was leading her to a seemingly isolated hallway, where she and him could talk in private.

"Emma," he said as they settled down on the only cold bench in the entire hallway, "what really is the matter?"

Emma looked up to see worried gray eyes, the very same she fell in love with six years ago.

"I'm just," Emma bit her lip, "sad. I don't want you to go, but at the same time I also want you to."

Ray didn't respond. Instead, a knowing smile etched over his features as his fingers went under her chin to tilt her head up, kissing her full on the lips.

"I don't know what I'll do without you," Ray whispered.

Somehow, Emma felt better. That one kiss out of a collected thousand reassured her in a way words never could. She smiled.

"Alright, then. You wouldn't want to miss your flight. Twelve o' clock on the dot." Emma grinned again as she took his hand and led them both out of the hallway.

Everything was going to be fine.

For now.

-

Three months later...

A disease swept over Japan.

It was dangerously contagious—so much that once you breathed a small whiff of the air an infected person breathed, the disease would be transferred immediately.

Two days ago, Gilda was tested positive.

Everyone was in despair. Visits to the hospital were requested to Emma daily, and Don looked like he hadn't slept in the full forty-two hours Gilda was hospitalized. Norman never came out of his office.

Ray was video calling Emma frequently from his apartment in Korea, worried that she got the disease, telling her to give Norman his lunch, and requesting for her to stay at home at all times.

"Someone has to get the groceries. It's my responsibility!" Emma argued back, saying that she would be careful and she was feeling fine.

"Emma," Ray said quietly. "I don't want to lose you, too."

A moment of silence.

Emma sighed. "I know, Ray, and I promise that I'll be careful. Besides, I need to get my disease test results anyway."