sickening days (2/3)

THERE WAS LIKE 17 DRAFTS OF THE SAME PART I THINK I'M GOING INSANE

Changed my mind. Sickening Days will have 3 parts, because the more I continue it the more appropriate a 3rd part becomes.

This one-shot series was requested by @Avi-Gul-Gul !

"Isabella! Here you are—congratulations. It's a boy."

"Wonderful. Please arrange for the baby to be sent into the farms as soon as possible," Isabella answered smoothly. "After all, he is Ranger's son."

-

Norman noticed, although a subtle change, that Emma was not herself.

She was constantly jerking—scared of everything, paranoid everyday, and never talks as much as she used to. It's like she was holding back, leaving behind her physical body, a form of someone she used to be. It wasn't that she was sick nor sad—just different.

Ray had been the same. Quiet, solemn glances, spacing out constantly.

Norman would say that both of them probably have schizophrenia, or maybe even ADHD, but refrained from doing so, wondering on why both of them were acting this way. At the same time.

Do they hate each other? He wondered.

He denied that thought. This isn't some petty couple fight. There's something else behind it.

And so he made a plan.

-

Emma didn't care at first when Norman said he would be moving her ward. She didn't care when he didn't tell her why he was gone for so long.

The two walked quietly through Norman's clinic, avoiding the rushing nurses and doctors as they hustled their way to the third floor.

"Ahem," Norman cleared his throat awkwardly, "Emma, do you want anything changed in your ward before you move in?"

"No," Emma deadpanned. "It's fine."

Silence.

"Emma," Norman sighed. "Your ward is next to Ray's."

Emma's ears perked up at the mention of his name. In an effort to remain expressionless, she replied: "Okay."

When they rounded the corner towards a rather solemn area of the clinic, Norman decided to break the awkwardness by pulling Emma aside.

"Emma," Norman said sternly, "Why have you been like this?"

"Like what?" Emma answered impassively.

"So bleak, quiet...it's not like you, Emma. Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing," Emma mumbled.

"It isn't nothing. It's something. Is it Ray? Are you mad?"

Upon entering the ward, Norman shut the door behind him, signifying to Emma that now he means business.

Emma swallowed air, her nose scrunching up. Norman vaguely remembered that this was how Emma used to act as a child when she was genuinely upset.

"No," tears threatened to come over Emma's complexion. "It isn't nothing, I know that. It's just...I don't know, Norman. I don't feel like myself. I don't want to eat. I don't want to sleep. Norman, everything feels so overwhelming and scary and sometimes I just want to stop for a while..."

Emma blinked. Those words came out of her mouth without her realizing. "Sorry," she added, grimacing.

Norman didn't look sympathetic. Instead, looks of thoughtfulness replaced his serious demeanor.