Jannik Sinner (2)

A/N: As promised, part 2 is here! It's short because it's more of a bridge between part 1 and the subsequent part. Do read part 1 if you haven't so that there's continuation in the plot. I think two more parts would hopefully be able to wrap this mini-series (of sorts) up :)

Also, I don't think this is that important, but I should probably declare: while I think a few concepts in this series may resemble those of some religions, any departures from what these religions (that my fictitious ideas may happen to resemble) say about death and the afterlife is not meant to challenge their ideologies.

As much as you enjoyed having Jannik's presence around your apartment, especially since you were living alone, you knew from all those tales passed down through many generations that it was not good for a soul to be stuck in this world after they have died. In other words, they have to move on to the afterlife. Otherwise, the "health" or "energy" of these "lost souls" would fade away over time until they "die" once again, this time permanently becoming angry apparitions that would haunt this world.

You had tried asking Jannik if there was anything he still missed dearly when he was alive, any memories he was still clinging on to, but he shook his head. "I mean, I definitely miss my family, being able to compete in tennis tournaments, skiing or enjoy playing football with my friends, but I still can float around to see how my friends and family are doing, even if they can't see me. I can still watch football matches on the TV and all, so I don't think I have that much of regrets since I'm technically still enjoying my life, really," he shrugged.

His response made you guess then that he was not supposed to die at the time and place where he did, so his assigned grim reaper was not there to guide him to the afterlife. Now, that was going to be a whole lot trickier. If you wanted to help Jannik move on from this world, you would have to identify the specific crease in the workings of this universe had caused such an error to happen before "smoothing out the crease", your granny explained to you over the phone as you consulted her regarding Jannik's situation. 

In other words, you had to find out what caused Jannik to die when he was not supposed to, and reset time to slightly before the unintended death to fix that error. Good lord, that would involve a whole lot of spells and sorcery, and as someone who's always been a firm believer of the sciences, this raised skepticism in you. Yet, Jannik's presence already defied what science knew, and you were more than willing to do anything to help him. The last thing you wanted was to see this bright and bubbly, occasionally mischievous, young man become a vengeful spirit roaming aimlessly on this world.

~The end~