Part LX: The Volturi Wives

"Are you certain this is a good idea?" Demetri asked as he draped a cream wrap around my shoulders.

"Relax, I need answers and who better to hear it from then the Volturi wives!"

Demetri mussed his hair which was in a fishtail braid.
"I get that but they are no longer as cautious as they were prior to Corin's influence. They could dislocate your shoulder without meaning to."

"Then good thing you are coming with me."
He was wearing washed out blue jeans and a polo neck, accompanied by the grey cloak and v-shaped necklace.

"Hey, why do you wear that?"
"This, the cloak? It identifies me as a member of the coven. It also alerts people to my rank. I'm quite high up."

"I saw the twins with dark, almost black ones."
"They have the highest rank. Ranking comes with favour and power."

We were near the brass door now.
"What can those two do?"
"Jane can make you feel like you are being burnt alive, whilst Alec totally leaves you without any senses."

I shivered.
"I wouldn't wish any of them to do that to you."
"Too late Aro had Alec use his powers on me. I was so scared...it felt like I was in limbo."
Demetri opened his mouth.

"You said you can?"
"I can track any person, except an Isabella Swan. I believe I mentioned it."
"You did?"

"Yeah, but you weren't really in your senses." he chuckled.
I rolled my brown peepers.
"And that monstrously tall guy? And Benjamin?"

"They are strong and can predict an opponent's tactics. But Aro doesn't value physical gifts as much as mental capabilities so they, Felix and Benjamin, have the lightest cloaks of the permanent guard." Demetri explained.

"How many permanent members are there?" I said.
He paused.

"There is the Volturi family...formerly started as six, now five as well as the top tier guards...including Benjamin, Corin, Chelsea, the Twins, Felix, Chelsea, Heidi and myself about...twelve permanent guards."

"But what about the rest, you said you were over thirty right?"

He smiled.
"You have a good memory. Yes, I said that so that makes seventeen of us that are permanent members and the rest about twelve to fifteen are transitory....so all in all we are thirty two."

I gasped.
"No wonder they ordered all members to stay in their rooms while I'm here...it's really not safe."
"It isn't. But the transitory members have reduced."

"Why?" I asked.
"A scandal with another coven. It made vampires question if they really want to be in the Volturi. So they are eight of those transitory and we have five cleaners, a priest, a chef and a secretary in our employ."

"Why are those other people special?"
"They are humans like you, but we prefer having as few as possible in on our secret...they are usually European and speak English or Italian.

The chef has been around as long as you. The humans here are actually glad you arrived."

I laughed.
"Marcus hired a chef for me?"
"Yes, we can all cook but the other Masters did not appreciate us deviating from our normal tasks."

"Does the chef get paid well?"
"The secretary complained actually. He gets paid more than her even when he does not cook.

But that is really our other employees' fault and not his own. His services extend to them as well, but I guess they fear Marcus' reaction."

He shrugged.
I wore a sky blue strappy halter dress. I had on white moccasins with blue beads and a white fur coat. Aro was getting excessive...

“Demetri, can you refrain from...” Corin came out of the brass door shouting. And her lips went white.
“MISTRESS! My goodness, forgive me, I thought he was speaking with one of our employees.”
She lowered her head in a bow.