Part XXXI: Shopping

I marvelled at the sheer massiveness of the suite. It was probably the size of my room, at home, and my mother's and my brother's, if you smashed the walls partitioning them.

"It's huge here..."

Demetri took off his blue jacket and settled it on the head of the couch before sitting down on its smooth leather. He crossed his long legs and flipped his black hair, which was in a pony-tail.

I let my eyes wander over every little nook and cranny. As we entered, we were greeted by fancy, grease recliners with red feathered cushions.

The floors were this copper colour of wood. The living room elegantly meshed with a kitchenette, which had a coffee machine and a toaster oven laid out over the steel counters.

Then there were two white doors with ferns loitering beside them, as if they too wanted to see where the doors lead off to.

Marcus made a juvenile beam at me. And I realised how cartoony I looked, dancing about his hotel room. So, I looked into his dark brown peeps; they were so soft and soothing.

He pointed at the recliner opposite to Demetri. Then he turned his brown eyes to Demetri.

"May you pardon us for a moment Demetri, you may return for supper in the hour."
Demetri gracefully stood and bowed his head.

"Yes, Master."
He nodded at me in acknowledgement. He strode to one of the mysterious white doorways, on the left and he opened it. I tilted my body to peek inside but nothing came in sight before it was swiftly shut. I sighed in disappointment.

What was it like, in there?

Marcus spoke firmly but in a feathery voice: "Sit."

I was still standing, whilst he sat where Demetri had been. I felt warmth gather in my cheeks so I quickly scampered to the sofa opposite him. I gave him an awkward smile. Luckily, he smiled back.

I thought of what to say to him. I stared at his face framed by a curtain of inky hair that reached his shoulder blades. It was the envy of every woman.

His brown eyes were soft, but beneath was an unassuming intelligence. As I watched him l decided his eyes were like Brazil nuts, rich in colour and they had..... that strange shape too.

He turned his attention outwards from the vast universe of his thoughts to me. His gaze burned softly like embers, calculating but non-threatening.

Hey, what business did you have to handle away from home? No, too forward...

Hey, how are your brothers? Bad move, then I'd  have to reveal why I snuck out the last time I was in his house. And I don't think he'd believe me, if I told him his betrothed brother tried to flirt with me....

"How's the weather?" I burst out.

He turned his head, like a confused dog.
"You are asking of the weather?" he said bemused.

I nodded adamantly, digging the hole I was in, even deeper.

"The weather's too sunny for me, to be honest, but I think the wind is what does it for me," he laughed.

"It's a silly question, I know."

"It is perfectly alright I missed such mundane topics; no-one has cared enough to ask me that in a long while."

My eyes became bigger.
Was that euphemism for his brothers and him didn't talk as much as they should?

My mind was speculating a million impossibilities, from this, one, statement.

So, I asked: "Don't you and your brothers talk about the weather all the time?"

He looked at the vase near the door. It was urn shaped and ink with gold dripping from its apex. It held in it fuschia gillyflowers and white carnations.

"Not anymore," he said morosely.

My heart wept for him. He looked so isolated that I wanted to reach out and comfort him. I leaned forward; an arm raised before I backed down.

"I'm sure you just need people more like you to talk to," I offered gently instead of softly touching him.

He continued looking at those gillies in the vase.
"Perhaps," he said at last.

"Would you care for a snack before supper?"

I nodded mutely, knowing that my stomach would accept his offer if I didn't.

He stood up and cat-walked across to the other side, in the kitchenette. He returned to me with a laminated paper. I gripped it as he placed it near my hand. His hand brushed mine; it was warm and I blushed.

"What's the budget?"

He scoffed.

"How can I ask you to pick a meal for a quantified amount when I am lodging in a luxury chamber? Please, eat as much as you like, for whichever amount."

I was speechless. Again, his generosity was over the moon. I could only smile.

"But as we wait for the valet you can perhaps enjoy the entertainment for offer in the parlours."

I looked at his ostentatious costume.

"Is this going to be common every time we chill, that you take me to hotels or call a private chef to serve me?" I joked.

I thought I lost my mind but, he smirked. As soon as my brain registered the action it evaporated.

"Perhaps, but I can almost be so certain you are not accustomed to this, so maybe once in a blue moon. I do not wish to chase you off."

I looked at the menu, wondering what it was I was reading, but I was too embarrassed to ask him to translate.

He placed his tan shoes together. "Do you not want to attend the parlour?"

I peeked over the bejewelled menu and quivered softly.
He sighed.

"But I cannot let you return home without us participating in an activity."

He was still vexed I took him out and I paid. That was probably why he was going all out today. He glanced at the corner, contemplating before a smile came onto his face.

"May you assist me with something? I am to host some American visitors soon; they are about your age. I would like to impress them."

My eyes ballooned.
"Oh, it depends on the occasion."

He tilted his head.
"It is a luncheon."

It was lunch, with twenty-something year olds, like me.... American.
"Do you want suggestions for food?" I said.

He shook his head.

"No, the food will be of the...European variety, I desired your aid with my garms."

I looked at his white blazer.

"You want my help? Why not Demetri?"
Demetri looked fashionable enough.

"He is as clueless as me about what is in fashion, especially American clothes. I want to look dapper and you could help me greatly."

"You want to look cool?"
He squinted his eyes at that word, cool.

"Yes, I wish to be cool."

He would look so conceited, someone that young with this clothing? He needed to look normal.... approachable.

"Then let's go shopping? Do you know any stores open right now?"
He nodded.

"Then we should do that before dinner."
He looked at me.

"Order first."

"I can order when we get back."
"There is a microwave; so please order before we depart," he insisted.

I groaned at the menu. He smiled.

"Let me help you read it, Makayla."
As soon as he said my name I was under his spell.