17 - hostage

"Mr Shelby, I believe I have something you'd like. Currently, there's only a little blood but I'm certain she'll be needing a new dress. My men seem to be entertaining themselves and will continue to do so until I receive the guns. Do you hear me Thomas? I'll keep the girl until I get the guns, the longer I have to wait, the longer she suffers. Understand?" Campbell explains over the phone. Tommy's knuckles grew white from his words. 

"He wants the guns doesn't he Thomas?" Polly asked, always ahead of the game as usual. 

"What fuckin' guns Tommy?" John asked furiously. Tommy was yet to reply to his relatives. 

"The girl for the guns Thomas." Campbell stated, feeling slightly accomplished. 

"How do I know you're not lying to me eh?" Tommy asked the inspector who held a sinister grin across his face. Campbell was quick to order his men to slice the thigh of Lydia with a penknife. Her scream shrilled through the room as the inspector held the phone out for Tommy to hear. 

"TOMMYYYY!" She cried through her scream, in a state of absolute desperation. 

"Okay, okay, okay! Leave her alone and I'll give you the guns!" Tommy shouted, not wanted anymore harm to come to his girl. However, little did he know she was losing blood at a dangerous rate, the gash across her thigh was draining her lifeless. Lydia's face had become pale and ghostly as she once again verged along the line of unconsciousness. 

Much to Polly and John's surprise, Tommy had unreluctantly given up the whereabouts of the guns - Danny Whizbang's grave. The Shelby's aunt had never seen her nephew, Tommy, care so much about someone before. Nevertheless, she had always known he'd had a soft spot for the Thorne girl.

The phone was slammed down as the conversation ended. Tommy had been given the address of where Lydia was being held hostage. He immediately placed his cap firmly on his head and stormed out of the room, John was quick to follow. 

Lydia was just outside of the city, becoming weaker and weaker by the second. As the two Shelby brother's left the betting den onto Watery Lane they reconvened with the third brother. 

"Tell the Blinders we know where Lyds is." Tommy ordered to Arthur, averting his gaze to the company car. 

"On it Tommy." Arthur said, sighing in relief.

"Let's go John!" Tommy announced as the pair clambered into the car. 

There was a subtle glimpse of the sun rising in the east as Tommy drove out of the fogged city. He was driving at a dangerous speed; not that he cared. He held a tight grip on the steering wheel keeping his stern, ocean eyes straight ahead. His thoughts were clouded of someone else touching Lydia and the pain she could be in. Tommy blamed himself. 

"Tommy, mate you're gonna kill us at this rate." John stated; gripping to his seat. 

"Shut up John, this is the girl I fucking love and she's in this situation because of me!" Tommy snapped and became angry at himself. He just wanted his girl back, back in his arms. 

As the two Shelby brother's arrived at the given address, Tommy had practically gotten out of the vehicle before it had stopped. Ahead was a secluded house, which was sheltered by trees. He ran ahead into the house as John quickly followed behind, both brothers had their guns raised as they searched for Lydia. The house was almost silent, but it wasn't long before her muffled sobs could be heard by the brothers, Tommy ran towards the sound of her cries until he reached the far room of the house. He kicked the door open without hesitation, prepared to kill the men that did this to her, only to find her alone in the room, tied to the chair with her eyes closed shut. 

Lydia's body was limp and weak, almost lifeless. She didn't raise her head to see who had entered the room, she only expected the worse, that was until she heard his voice. 

"Lydia! Lyds!" She faintly heard Tommy call her name, but didn't have the energy to reply. 

"Bloody 'ell, look at the state of her, we need to get her to the hospital now!" John announced to his brother. 

Tommy scanned her body to find dried blood in her hair from a hit to her head, and a gash in her leg that was continuing to bleed profusely, her dress was stained with her blood, meanwhile, John cut the ropes that had been cutting at Lydia's wrists, allowing Tommy to lift her up bridal style. Her head rested on his chest as he gingerly carried her out of the house. 

"John you drive! Let's go!" Tommy shouted as he placed Lydia in the backseat of the car. Her body still lay weak as her head now rested on Tommy's legs. Tommy ripped the bottom of his shirt off to tie around Lydia's wound on her thigh as John sped down the country lanes.

"It's okay Lydia, I've got you. I'm so sorry love, I'm sorry." Tommy whispered as he stroked her face. Lydia found comfort and relief to the sound of his voice and his recognisable smell of cologne but remained too frail to respond to him. His voice soon began to fade, as did his scent. Lydia lay cold, pale and almost lifeless in Tommy's lap.