Valroux

They were out of the house by nine. Louise wasn't happy, but since they were going to an out of the way place, she agreed. Sunglasses on and music loud, they drove inland, through a range of hills, emerging to look out over a wide plain. There, on a rise, was Valroux. The ruins of a small medieval fortified chateau capped the hill, the old village crowding around it, while the 'new' construction of the past few centuries spread outward. It was very picturesque, as Harry had once described his own home town.

As they drove through the center square and out the other side toward Lia's family home, the car received attention. A few villagers waved, Harry returning the gesture. The house was at a sharp bend in the street, a corner lot hiding behind a high buff-colored stone wall, across the street from the wine growers' cooperative. Lia had always loved watching out her bedroom window in the fall as the farmers brought trucks of grapes to be processed into the local wine.

Lia entered the code on a keypad unlocking the faded turquoise blue gate and swung it open. A swimming pool and parking area filled the lower level of the property. Up a flight of stone steps was the upper yard and house.

It was a newer home, only two and a half centuries old, and square, with two storeys. The upper yard was cooled by a large shade tree and the terrace was shaded by a trellis covered in bougainvillea . The stucco walls were a warm white with shutters and doors the same blue as the gate. It was a peaceful place.

Ed settled himself under the tree while Lia unlocked the front door.

Inside the large living room she stood for a moment, eyes sweeping the place, before spinning herself around slowly, arms extended.

"Well, here you have it, chez LaRoche." 

"Is it hard for you to be here?" His tender concern pulled at something in her heart.

She looked around and considered for a moment.

"Honestly, I'm surprised at how good it feels to be here. As though it might still be home. Do you know, I think might move in, after August. Papa will be pleased." She was suddenly, completely convinced that it was the right thing to do.

"Come see my bedroom."

They walked upstairs, where she opened a door on the airy landing.

Her room was lit by a tall French window, which Lia opened, waving to Ed when he looked up at the sound. A sleigh bed, matching armoire and dresser, and small desk lined the walls. Opening the bottom drawer of the dresser, Lia pulled out a large rolled paper.

"Close your eyes." 

Harry did, and she unrolled the paper, holding it in front of her, facing him.

"Open them."

"You've got to be kidding me!" He was smiling, eyes bright, shaking his head

"You've got to be kidding me!" He was smiling, eyes bright, shaking his head. "It's a good one."

Lia didn't know exactly why she had saved the One Direction poster. It hadn't been on her wall in eight years. Shuffling through the same drawer, she found a photograph of herself at sixteen. Pretty, in an awkward teenage way, with a questionable haircut, a few spots, and a smile that reached her brilliant blue eyes. She held it out to him.