Epilogue

They'd been in London for nearly three months.

Lia loved the city, and Harry's little corner of Hampstead. They were living in his Georgian mansion while the two other houses he owned on the block were being combined into one large residence. She would have the atelier of her dreams in the attics, Harry's studio would be on the ground floor, and everything between would be theirs together.

 She would have the atelier of her dreams in the attics, Harry's studio would be on the ground floor, and everything between would be theirs together

There were difficult days, when Harry came home from the studio or a string of interviews or a photoshoot tired and frustrated, when Lia felt listless and missed her students. She was making friends in fashion, but it was a long and difficult road to find a place in that world. She kept designing and sewing, getting even more inspiration from anther trip. She and Harry both admitted that they'd seen the love the first time, and the second time they allowed themselves to be immersed in it.

They made a good team, able to raise each other's spirits or calm frayed nerves more often than not. Lia knew from the start that Harry could be petulant and bossy. Living more of a celebrity life in London, she learned that he could be an asshole, and a bit of a diva. Not frequently, and almost never to her. She didn't hesitate to call him on it when it happened.

As the public got to know her and came to terms with the fact that Harry Styles was visibly, vocally, and earnestly in love, they kept the engagement to themselves. Friends knew. The band. Mariam, Thomas, Niall and Mary. Others in Harry's inner circle. They had no plans yet for a wedding, and didn't feel the need to rush. They'd make it public when the actual event drew near, or not. Lia missed wearing her ring when she was out in public, but they had decided it was prudent for now.

Harry had been so busy in the studio that, two months after the day itself, they still hadn't celebrated Lia's twenty seventh birthday. He decided that a night out was called for, and Louise made reservations for a booth at Chiltern Firehouse.

Lia had just finished a pair of pants that she was eager to wear

Lia had just finished a pair of pants that she was eager to wear. In high-waisted black crepe, they skimmed her hips, then flared gently. Slits rose to her upper thigh in the center of each leg, showing a lining of pale turquoise silk with every step she took. A long-sleeved black ballerina neck bodysuit kept the look sleek and elegant. Knowing Harry liked it best that way, she left her hair down.

He let her dress him. Jeans in a dark wash were paired with a dress shirt Lia had made from a crisp blue and white floral print cotton and topped with a black cashmere blazer. Somehow the simplicity brought out every gorgeous thing about him. Hair, eyes, olive skin, glowing smile. He was sublime in her eyes.

As he chose his rings for the night, Lia found herself feeling jealous.

"Harry, I hate it that I can't wear my ring. I feel naked every time I leave the house without it. You said that the restaurant is known for its discretion. Maybe I could...?"

He sighed, "I don't know. We could run into someone I know; it's a popular place..." The brow was furrowed, and he ran one hand through his hair as he pinched his lip with the other. His 'I'm trying to make this work' look.

He took in a deep breath, then burst out in a decisive tone, "Do it. I'm tired of this subterfuge. We won't announce it, but maybe we won't hide it either. Louise and Paul won't approve, but this is about you and me. Wear it."

*****

The restaurant was busy, but their booth allowed for some privacy and the only attention they received was from the waitstaff. They had just ordered a crème brulée to share for dessert when there was a bit of a commotion at the door.

"Bloody hell." Harry groaned as a group entered the restaurant. Lia looked in their direction.

"Who are they? Should I recognize anyone?"

"It's Dua and her squad."

"Dua Lipa?" He nodded. "I wonder if I'll ever get used to people like that being... around. Do you need to go say hello?"

"No, let's enjoy our dessert. Maybe we'll stop at their table on the way out. She turned me down, did you know that? Not sure what I was thinking, honestly. She's nice enough, but not my type. She tends to draw attention, and we're hoping to avoid it."

They finished their dessert and left with friendly nods and waves between themselves and the recent arrivals, but the real problem proved to be outside. The paparazzi knew Dua was there, and they were lying in wait. Harry and Lia would be a huge score.

Ed was waiting with the car when Harry and Lia appeared, but the twenty feet from door to curb was more than enough to give the photographers time for excellent shots.

Harry held her right hand tight while she held her clutch in the left. She could sense that he was frustrated; this was meant to have been a very quiet evening out. Now they were peppered with questions as they crossed the pavement.

"Any movie deals in the works?"

"What's the release date for the new album?"

"Any plans for a tour?"

"Who are you wearing tonight?"

And then,

"Is that an ENGAGEMENT RING!?!?"

Lia saw a push of people and a sea of flashes as they slid into the car. They looked at each other in silence, wide-eyed, until Lia spoke.

"Well, now we've done it."  And they both began to laugh.

After a moment Harry began to look concerned.  "Are you alright? I worry sometimes that you might regret jumping into this. Might regret taking on me, and this life."

She smiled and kissed him softly.

"You foolish man. I'm exactly who I've always wanted to be. I'm the girl with no regrets."

Lyrics Quoted in the Story:

Sweet Creature written by Harry Styles and Kid Harpoon, performed by Harry Styles

I Knew You Were Trouble written by Taylor Swift, Max Martin, Shellback, performed by Taylor Swift

Night Changes written by Jamie Scott, Julian Bunetta, John Ryan, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, performed by One Direction

Leather and Lace written by Stevie Nicks - originally performed by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley