Chapter 13: How To Understand

[Chicago Med]

Ava's morning went down quietly. She only had a simple surgery, and the rest of her time was spent charting and rounding wards. It is now noon. She and Connor had planned to go to lunch together, but he was stuck in an emergency surgery. Wandering into the cafeteria alone, Ava looks up at the menu, considering what she should order.

"Ava!" A cheerful voice catches her attention. Looking over, she finds Natalie and Maggie in line, waving for her to come over. She raises a small smile and goes to join the two, while Maggie excuses them to the people behind.

Thanks to her repeated trips to the E.D. every day, she had gotten familiar with the E.D. staff. Though she appeared cold in the beginning, the doctors and nurses soon learned of the caring part of her nature. Among them, Natalie became closest to her. When Ava comforted her the day of the mass shooting, she knew she was more than the distant surgeon that she seemed.

Smiling to her friend, Natalie takes a new tray and hands it over, "How was your morning?"

"Peaceful. Hopefully it stays that way." Ava thanks her, shifting along with the lineup, "How about you two?"

"Not bad actually. I had a kid with a broken arm, but he's gonna be fine." Natalie remarks lightheartedly, then proceeds to order her food.

"A car accident victim just came in though," Maggie adds, putting a juice box in her tray, "That's who Connor's operating on."

As they spoke, the trio found a table and sat down. After chatting for a while, Natalie suddenly changes the topic: "So, how are things going with you and Dr. Rhodes?"

Looking at the two pairs of shining eyes opposite her, Ava blushes slightly, "The usual." As if she thinks it was too perfunctory, she adds, in an attempt to cover up her awkwardness: "You know we both don't get much time to do other things."

Seeing her reaction, Natalie and Maggie smile at each other. Just as they were about to ask more, Ava's pager goes off. Her look becomes serious as she reads its content. Apologizing to her friends, she quickly puts away her tray and goes to catch the elevator.

[Chicago Med, ICU]

Coming out of the elevator, Ava immediately runs into Connor who's just stepped out of the other one. "Ava." He still has his scrub cap on, it seems like he's just finished the surgery.

"How did it go?" Smiling, Ava points her chin to his scrubs. She hasn't been able to see him all morning.

Connor curves his lips, walking beside her, "Good. It wasn't anything big."

"Good." She turns and looks to the wards, "Now let's go take a look at Tim." Thinking about their patient, their expressions grow serious and they quicken their steps.

Tim was brought in three days ago in acute heart failure. Transplant was the only option. Fortunately, another patient passed away in the E.D. and was an exact match. They performed the surgery together, an absolute success. But now, standing in front of his bed, they can't help but notice that his new heart is failing. Despite the drugs they gave him, he's still getting worse, slowly but steadily. At this rate, he will soon be in the same condition as when he came in. They have to consider surgery.

Staring at the monitor for a while, Connor twists his brows then looks back at Ava, "We'll put him on ECMO."

"What?" Brought out of her thoughts, Ava immediately widens her eyes. "Let's talk outside." Taking a look at the patient's pale face, she leads out of the room.

Closing the door of the counselling room behind them, Connor turns and faces Ava: "At the rate his heart is failing now, he's qualified for ECMO."

"Yes, but we don't have to put him on ECMO." Ava looks into his eyes, "He's also qualified for an artificial heart."