Chapter 4: What You Don't Know

[Resuming from 4×1]

[Dolan Rhodes Department Store]

Parking her car outside of Dolan Rhodes, Ava quickly got off. She hopes Cornelius Rhodes is still in there. When he had come into the hospital to see her last time - the time he sent the flowers - he told her that he usually stays in the original branch of the famous department store. How ironic, she thought. Since that time, she had hoped to never see him again, but now here she is, bringing herself to her last resort.

Clutching the folder in her hands, she walks in and immediately spotted the man she was looking for. Cornelius Rhodes was in the glassware section, talking to an employee about the arrangement of the merchandise. It was only when she caught sight of the man did she realize what an impulsive decision she had made. For a split second, she was desperate to escape. But soon she collected herself. She knows the danger, but she is not turning back. Keeping her chin up, she walks confidently towards the man: "Mr. Rhodes?"

"Dr. Bekker." Cornelius Rhodes lifts his eyebrows, visibly surprised. Quite frankly, she is the last person he expects to see here at this hour, especially after their last meeting. But this is good news for him. He looks Ava up and down. She is wearing a simple black dress that goes to her mid-calf, revealing her delicate ankles. The dress has a thigh-high slit. It was still swinging side to side from the motion of her walking, and her thigh and knee were indistinctly visible. The dress's low neckline shows her flawless collarbones and upper chest. She had put on a black scarf to cover her arms from the chilly night winds, but it was too narrow and he could see her smooth, pearl-like shoulders. Cornelius deepened his smile. He is looking forward to the evening.

Feeling Cornelius's uncomfortable gaze, Ava realizes she had forgotten to change. She was so immersed in her thoughts after seeing that proposal, she forgot she was still in the dress that was meant for Connor's party. — Connor. Reminding herself of her purpose here, Ava smiles back: "Have you got a minute?"

"Of course, this way."

Cornelius Rhodes leads Ava into his office. Handing over the proposal, Ava looks down at the middle-aged man, now sitting at his desk: "Creating a hybrid O.R. in the E.D. would be expensive, and the hospital is not willing to make the commitment. However, if private donors such as yourself would earmark contributions for the project, the board would be incentivized to make the investment."

Cornelius Rhodes nods, seemingly interested. Watching his reactions silently, Ava proceeds: "Interested in a story, Mr. Rhodes?"

"Oh?" Finally lifting his eyes from the proposal, Cornelius nods, "Of course."

"This morning, a patient came into the E.D. in critical condition. On the way up to the O.R., his heart stopped in the elevator. We had to open his chest in the hallway, but..." Pausing for a bit, Ava looked down, "He still didn't make it."

"I'm sorry to hear that." With a pitiful expression, Cornelius looks up at Ava.

Nodding at his response, Ava continues: "His aorta ruptured. The size of the hole was beyond repair." Closing her eyes for a moment, she can still hear the desperate cries of Linda Keyes, "His wife, um..." Doesn't know how to finish the sentence, she lowers her head.

Cornelius looks like he's really only taking it as a simple story. He fixes his eyes on Ava, appearing to be waiting for her to continue.

"If we were able to treat his injuries in the E.D., he would still be alive. The problem was the time it took to get to the O.R. If there was a hybrid O.R. in the E.D., we would be able to perform just about any type of emergency surgery. Things like this will never have to happen again." Ava explains, trying to find any traces of sympathy on the man's face.