Chapter 14: Like Never Before

[Resuming from 4×8]

[Chicago Med, Hallway]

"Mannequins?"

"Look, I was a department store latchkey kid, so I took what I could get." Strolling down the hallways with Ava, Connor pulls a teasing smile, "Jenny was basically my first girlfriend — which is why I am such a good kisser."

Ava crinkles her nose slightly. In spite of the feigned look of despise on her face, her eyes are clearly beaming with happiness. Just looking at her during this moment, no one would believe she's the same person she was a few months ago. In Connor's presence, she's becoming more and more like a young girl — as if she had shed a hard shell and revealed the soft, mischievous inside.

"I don't think I know how to feel about this." She narrows her eyes, curving her lips, "On one hand, it's very disturbing. On the other, I should probably be thanking Jenny for those uh — years of practice?"

Her remark immediately draws a rebuttal from him: "Hold on, it wasn't years, okay?"

"Dr. Rhodes." A low female voice breaks the gayety. Goodwin stops them, holding a file folder in her hand: "— Was looking for you. I wanted to tell you before you got the memo. The hybrid room will be used for general surgeries when needed."

"General surgeries?"

"Appendectomies, gall bladders—"

"Yeah, so everything but trauma, which is why we built it in the first place." Connor frowns at her words.

Goodwin is not at all surprised by his reaction. Her expression remains unchanged: "Look, the hybrid room was expensive. It came in over budget. Using it when we can will help balance the books."

"You mean pad them." Connor hits the mark.

Goodwin doesn't seem to object to his bluntness: "Well, profit's not a bad thing."

"Ms. Goodwin, this is Chicago. We get six traumas before lunch. What are those patients supposed to do? I don't know, take a number?"

"Well, your displeasure is noted, Dr. Rhodes," Goodwin pauses, still smiling but with unquestionable authority in her eyes, "— And overruled."

Putting down her words, Goodwin continues down the corridor, taking care to glance at Ava before leaving the two. In fact, Ava ran into Goodwin this morning. Her relationship with Connor is no longer any secret to the staff, so it wasn't strange that Goodwin spoke a few words about him. Only, Ava didn't understand why she would need to "pacify" him. Now she does.

"When does all this start?" Turning around, she follows Connor's gaze as he stops Goodwin.

"Today. In fact," Goodwin points to a group of med students not far from them, "Dr. Lanik will take the lead."

Watching her back, Connor shakes his head, "This is a terrible idea. It's gotta be Gwen Garrett."

"Let it go. This isn't a hill to die on." Ava sighs softly, then takes the lead towards the other end of the hallway. It's not because of Goodwin that she's persuading him — If it keeps them from closing the hybrid O.R., she'll let them be.

[Chicago Med, E.D.]

"James Brice, 24. GCS 7. Hypotensive. Intubated en route..."

Not long after returning to the E.D., Connor receives a patient in critical condition. While the chest X-ray is being prepared, he rushes into the hallway to find help with the IV, almost immediately spotting the blonde walking towards him: "Ava! Can you get a line in?"