Part 5

The sky turned a dark grey, bringing along with it heavy rainfall. I watched boys run and hide under anything with a roof, and I stood watching them with confusion. Unless it was acid rain, what was everyone so worried about? Even Thomas ran under for cover, which was a shame because I very much would've enjoyed seeing his clothes sticking to his body.

Instead it was me whose clothes stuck. I was completely soaked, but I did take my sweet time getting to them. Thomas was hugging on a support beam as he watched me walk up, everyone staring at the Maze.

"What's going on?" I asked, standing next to Thomas.

"They should be back by now," he said. "What happens if they don't make it?"

Newt, who was leaning against another beam, said, "They're gunna make it."

"And if they don't?" I pressed, walking to him.

Newt looked at me, his brows furrowed like he didn't want to think about that. "They're gunna make it." I sighed and walked away slowly, using the time to think while the rain provided a calming ambiance. I sure hoped Newt was right. I hoped they'd come back alive and un-stung.

The second the rain stopped, everyone gathered around the Maze, staring between the walls as we waited for Minho and Alby to appear. Maybe they were just late. I stood with Thomas at the forefront and I let my eyes wander around what little I could see. It still didn't look that bad.

The gears started to turn and an air of sadness loomed over everyone. Thomas sighed, "Come on, guys. Can't we send someone after them?"

"That's against the rules," Gally said, crouched down next to me with his eyes stuck on the entrance. "Either they make it back or they don't."

"We can't risk losing anyone else," Newt said. The wind started up and I shielded my face from the debris. As the walls started to close, panic set in everyone.

In the distance, I could see two bodies forming. "There!" I yelled. Minho grunted loudly, dragging Alby with him on his back. Alby was hurt or unconscious or something because he wasn't even moving, but Minho was stumbling about.

As the walls continued to close, everyone yelled encouraging words to entice Minho to make it through. I worried that if he got between those walls, he wouldn't make it. Alby fell to the ground and Minho tried to drag him that way. Then he gave up, looking at us through the ever-slimming opening.

"They're not gunna make it," Newt realized. Something in my chest felt for him, but I hadn't really made any connection with him, so I wasn't sure why I was feeling this way.

"You gotta leave him!" Gally screamed.

I looked at Thomas and him at me, but he was the first one to break into a run. I followed quickly behind, knowing there was every possibility that I could get crushed. I felt Newt's hand just barely miss my arm. People screamed at us not to go, but I kept pushing onward. I couldn't focus on the fact that I had to turn to squeeze my body through now. I only focused on the light at the other end. My heart pounded in my ears.

Thomas got through to the other end. The walls were so close that I couldn't even turn my head. I feared that I might be taking my last breath as I sucked in, but at the last second, Thomas reached in and yanked me out by my arm just in time for the walls to close past the point of squeezing through. I was so scared that I started to laugh, looking back to watch the wall close with finality. I almost died and it was thrilling.

I looked back to see Minho panting and shaking his head at us as he rested on his knees. "Good job. You just killed yourselves."

"What?" Thomas said through a voice crack, still panting with adrenaline. Minho sat back on the ground like he was giving up hope, and we walked over to him. I looked down at Alby, seeing the gash on his forehead.