Part 10

"Where is everybody?" Chuck asked, his eyes scanning over the damage in the Glade.

"Who's that over there?" Winston wondered. I looked over and knew exactly who it was. Gally. He and two other furious people were stalking to us, no doubt coming for me and Thomas. They probably wanted to skin us alive after tonight. When Gally didn't stop stalking to us, Thomas pushed me slightly behind him with his arm.

Thomas barely got out his name before Gally slammed his fist into his face. As Thomas fell, I shoved Gally again, this time as hard as I could. People pulled them back while I screamed, "What the hell is your problem?!"

He pointed an angry finger at me. "This is all you guys! Look around!"

Minho stepped in front of Gally, using his forearm to hold him back. "Back off, Gally! It's not their fault!"

"You heard what Alby said. They're with them!"

"With who?" Newt asked.

Gally was still trying to run at us, sending daggers at us with his eyes as everyone tried to hold him back. "They're with them, and they sent them here to destroy everything, and now they have!" Thomas and I looked at each other, guilt in both our eyes as we took what Gally was saying to heart. He seemed to sense the weakness because he continued. "Look around, guys. Look around! This is your fault!" A slur of words filled my head coming from everyone trying to calm him down.

I hated this feeling inside of me. I felt devastated by what we'd lost, by who we'd lost, but I also felt guilty because maybe Gally was right. Maybe it was our fault. We already knew we'd been sent here, but I had a hard time believing I'd ever wanted something like this to happen. People like these getting hurt. Dying. It's not what I wanted now, and I know for a fact it wasn't what I wanted then, either.

Chuck, who was standing beside me, was holding the stinger Alby had hacked off, and I took it from his hands, turning to Thomas. He stared at it before sliding his eyes up to my tear-filled ones. "What if he's right about us?" I asked.

"What are you doing?"

"There's one cure left. I need to remember."

Thomas shook his head. "No. I won't let you do that to yourself." Before I could retort, Thomas snatched the stinger out of my hands and plunged it into his thigh.

"Thomas!" I screamed. He fell to the grass, and I knelt down beside him, pulling the stinger from him. "God, you idiot!" Everyone holding back Gally raced over to swarm around us, and I looked up at Teresa. She was motionless, her eyes wide like a deer in headlights as she watched everything. I sighed at her, disappointed that she wasn't doing anything, and said to Chuck, "Get the other syringe." Chuck nodded and ran away, and I pushed Thomas' hair back from his sweaty forehead. "I'm here. It's okay. You'll be okay, Tommy."

——————-

I didn't leave Thomas' side, but unfortunately, neither did Teresa. She kept holding his hand, but I didn't touch him, just watched from my seat next to him. It wasn't much because all three of us were in the pit, but we made do. Well, Teresa chose to be in here, but I was forced. There were a few times when my sights were stuck on Teresa. She was very pretty. I could understand why Thomas liked her, but I wished he didn't.

When he finally opened his eyes, Teresa was the first to see it. My bowed head jerked up when she cooed to him. She was standing over him, so he would see her upside-down, but she was touching the side of his head gently, her other hand placed on his chest.

"Are you okay?" she asked him as his hand reached up to lay over hers on his chest, and he craned his head back to look at her in confused surprise.