Chapter 21:

“You’re going to be okay.” I told him when I noticed that he was freaking out. His eyes were wide and unfocused and he had nervous sweat pooling on his forehead and dripping down his face.

“You don’t know that. I literally can’t feel anything but pain.” He moaned.

I grabbed the hand that was by his side and squeezed it comfortingly.

“You’ll get through this. Let’s just pray that it’s not serious.” I told him.

Neymar nodded and kept his face emotionless as we came up to an ambulance. There was a news crew waiting outside and when they saw Neymar they sprang into action. Security came forward and blocked their path but I could still feel the cameras on us.

Neymar struggled to raise himself up a little and managed to give the cameras a thumbs up before collaspsing back onto the stretcher.
“I don’t want my parents to worry when they see this on tv.” He explained when I gave him a weird look.

The ambulance doors opened then and the men lowered the stretcher onto a gurney that was in the ambulance. I didn’t bother asking for permission, and just jumped into the back of the ambulance once Neymar was settled.

The ambulance medic gave me a surprised look before turning his attention to Neymar.

“Where is the pain coming from?” He asked in English.

“My lower back.” Neymar replied.

“On a scale from one to ten, how much pain are you feeling?”

“A fucking 20.” Neymar bit out.

“Have you ever injured your back before?”

“Never.” Neymar said.

“Can you move your legs or sit up?”

Neymar shook his head. “No, not at all. Is that really bad?”

“It’s not the best thing in the world.” The man told him. “We’re taking you to the hospital in Rio. We need to make sure that you’re not paralyzed before taking you to a more speacialized center.”

“Parazlyzed.” The color drained off of his face. I could tell that was the only thing he heard out of what the medic had said.

“It’s a very real possible seeing that you were injured in your lower back.”

“Hey! He does not need to hear that right now!” I jumped in, feeling really protective over Neymar. I didn’t want him to start freaking out. I thought back to how I had felt when I had my own soccer injury and the last thing I would have wanted to hear was that I might have been paralyzed.

“I’m just doing my job Miss.” The medic defended.

I ignored him and turned to Neymar.

“I want you to squeeze my hand as you feel pain.” I told him.

“No, I don’t want to hurt you.” Neymar refused.

I rolled my eyes. “Did you forget that I was injured in high school. I can take pain Neymar. And I really want you to release some of you pain. Trust me, you’ll feel better.” I enveloped his hand in mine.

Neymar gave me a hesitant look before holding my hand in his and squeezing it. I gritted my teeth when I felt sharp pain invade my hand.

“Damn, you’re really in pain.” I smiled weakly.

Neymar grunted and gave me another hard squeeze before pulling his hand away.

“Did that help?” I asked him.