Chapter 3

The chill of the morning air kept my hands in my pockets but my arms pressed against my sides for another reason. Linda hugged herself and sniffled as she tried to recover from her meltdown at the restaurant. I didn't want to treat her like a good friend I knew for a while but I also didn't want to leave her like I didn't know her. So I walked with her, just a foot apart. We walked to the nearest Family Mart and looked around. There was a small bakery in the back corner, cold drinks in the back, and snacks in the ailses. The cash register was to the right of the entrance, a small young male dressed in a blue sweater and a green apron stod behind the counter.

"Goodmorning," the man said.

"Goodmorning," I greeted back.

I walked Linda to the bakery goods and picked up an anpan. She picked up melon bread. Without saying a word, I lead her to the cold drinks and looked it over. I reached in and pulled out a grape soda while Linda picked up a Coca-Cola.

"Sorry about earlier," Linda whispered.

"It's fine. You were shaken up from losing your friend. I's okay to express how you feel about losing someone you love."

Her cheeks went bright red. "I-I don't love him. He's my friend."

"Then why would you go so far for him?"

She fell silent and turned toward the counter. I walked with her to the front counter and we placed our items on the counter. The man quickly scanned the drinks and tapped on the register several times.

"Did you find everything you needed?"

"Yes," I replied.

"That will be 800 yen."

I handed him a 1,000 yen bill and he accepted it. He opened the register, placed the bill in it's place, and handed me 200 yen.

"Thank you."

Linda and I stepped outside of the Family Mart and we sat down on a parking hump. I opened the plastic that held my bread and took a bite. The red beans tasted great with the soft bread. I looked over at Linda who simply stared at her food.

"The bread is better now than it is later," I told her.

"I know." She spun the bread in her hand and sighed. "What am I going to do?"

I shrugged. "You said you were going to attend a college. Why give up on it now? You did say you wanted to surprise your friend there, right?"

She turned to face me. "Do you really think he'll be there?"

"Why wouldn't he be? You said he was going to attend college there."

"Yeah. I guess I did."

I almost smiled at how lost she was without her friend. Diving into a foreign country just to be with him. She must think really highly about him, I thought to myself. "Do you want to go back to the hotel? I'm sure you didn't sleep very much."

"Neither did you," she giggled. Linda stood up slowly and stretched. "Sure. Let's head back. I need to find out where the nearest school is anyway."

I laughed and stood up. "Alright, then let's go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened up the notebook and started reading, again. To sum up the long two pages, I have to apply to Okinawa University in Naha before school resumed. I pulled up my iPod and checked for the password according to the notebook. When it unlocked, following the notebook's instructions, I opened up the Safari application and searched up the university's webpage. I quickly registered and bought the textbooks needed to pass. When I was finished, I closed the application and examined the iPod applications for the first time. There were many apps with icons that easily distinguished what type of app they were (along with the names typed underneath them) but there were a few apps that had strange icons with even stranger names.