Chapter 10

I held the notebook in front of me but I couldn't bring myself to open it. Instead, I unlocked my iPod and opened up the Wattpad application. I was connected to the plane's wireless network thanks to Linda's help but she connected me when I hadn't planned on doing anything. Now, she was asleep and I suddenly became curious as to what kind of stories I had written. I opened up my profile and began adding all of the stories to my library. I had to admit, the covers created for each story was impressive. Simple photos with a title typed in a fascinating text with the username posted underneath. As soon as I downloaded the last story, I began to read. Some of the stories were full of action, some were all about love, and some were depressing. I knew it was late at night but I couldn't bring myself to pull away from the stories. They were written well, the words playing together like a song and the way the characters interacted kept me interested. Why would I want to be a game designer if I was an excellent writer?

I was halfway through reading all of the stories when Linda woke up. She was sitting in the aisle seat while I had the window, her hair was a slight mess and her eyes were a little drowsy. "Are we there yet?"

I turned on the television screen on the back of the seat. An image of a plane traveling on a yellow line across the Pacific Ocean appeared. The plane wasn't even halfway to America. "No," I replied. "We're still over the Pacific."

She groaned. "When you said it was an eighteen hour flight, I didn't think you meant an eighteen hour flight."

"It's an eighteen hour flight?"

"That's what you told me every time you flew back from Japan."

"This will be one long trip, huh?"

Linda nodded. "What're you doing?"

"I'm reading all of the stories I wrote on Wattpad," I said. "I guess I was really good back then, huh?"

She smiled. "You kept writing until you got the notice from the government."

I didn't have a reply for that. "America is a big place, isn't it? Where are we going to meet everyone?"

"We are going to land in Los Angeles and catch a ride to Brea to get to your original home."

"Do you know who'll be there?"

Linda gently grabbed my hand. "Don't be so scared. They're all kind and will accept you for who you are now."

I relaxed slightly. "Thanks, Linda."

She leaned over and kissed my cheek. "Just get some sleep, okay?" She laid her head on my shoulder and, in a few moments, was fast asleep. I felt a smile cross my face as I rested my head on my shoulder and fell asleep to the gentle shaking of the plane.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A slightly younger version of myself stood in front of me wearing a blue and white racing uniform. He stared at me with an emotionless face.

"I'm jealous," he said. "You managed to get Linda to express her love for us. I couldn't even get her to hug me."

"To be honest, I kinda hate you." I walked up to him. "You left me without a single memory and figured a notebook and a messaging program to a stranger would make me feel safe."

"Buruku is no stranger. Buruku is the name of the AI in the application I created. He is made of prepared responses. He is only a program."

"Still, you thought a set of instructions would make me feel like I knew what I was doing."