Chapter 6

I couldn't believe how many people were walking through the gates of the university when I first arrived. Students in black uniforms that matched the set given to me at registration walked in with friends, eyes barely open from the obvious lack of sleep during the short break they had, making ssic playing through the speakers of the shop cut out any sounds made outside but was quiet enough for the customers and employees inside to speak to one another without having to raisemall talk about how much fun they had had during their time off. Linda wore a bright smile as she watched the Japanese teens place their shoes in a small locker and slipped on slippers.

"Straight out of an anime," she whispered.

"Do you watch a lot of anime?" I asked.

She blushed. "I did for a while but I stopped when my friend started to act weird a month before he told me his citizenship was about to expire."

"What is your friend's name?

"Huh?"

"What was his name? It feels awkward for me to constantly hear, "my friend" over and over."

"Oh. His name was... uh... Dev."

"Wow. We have the same name. What a coincidence."

"Y-yeah. That's why I've been so emotional around you. It's because your names are the same!"

"I thought you said it was because we act alike."

"Both are true." She stuffed her shoes into her locker quickly and stepped into the slippers. "I'm gonna go find my class. I'll meet you here for lunch, bye!"

"Wait!"

Linda started running down the hall and rounded a corner before I could say anything more. I started to wonder why she was always so nervous around me. Her reasons made perfect sense but the fact that amnesia has shaken up my mind held multiple other reasons for her strange behaviors. I just had to wonder what I had walked into meeting this girl on that ele-

"Hello!" I turned around to see a man about my age smiling at me. He bowed slightly and stood upright. He spoke in complete Japanese. "You must be new here."

"Yes. I am new here."

"I'm Hatsuya, Jiba. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Lunesu, Dev. Nice to meet you, too."

I looked him over. Generic Japanese look. Black hair with small bangs pointed toward his brown eyes, yellow skin, and a pair of glasses to add to the sharpness of his uniform. He looked as if he would be the person to grade your tests.

"I saw you with a girl earlier. Is she new as well?"

"Yes," I confirmed as I looked down the hall where she had ran off. "She doesn't speak any Japanese, unfortunately."

"Oh? Is she an American?"

"Yes."

"You seem to know her. Did her father get stationed here?"

"Stationed?"

"Yeah. When a person in the military signs up for international guard, they usually get stationed in a foreign country for a breif period of time before going back home or continuing to the next country."

"No. Linda came here in search of a friend."

"A friend?"

"Yes. According to her, she had a friend in high school who had dual citizenship and had to choose on their senior year. He chose Japanese citizenship over his American citizenship and took off to finish schooling here."