Chapter 7

I opened my eyes to see a dark ceiling and feel the chill of the room's cold air. I looked to my right to see a box of tissues sitting on a small table with a trash bin underneath. To my left, was a chair and some figure sitting in it. I tried to focus on who it was but the room was too dark. I started to sit up and the figure began to stir.

"Dev? Are you alright?"

"Linda?"

The figure moved from the chair and crouched beside the bed I was in. It was Linda. "Everyone heard you screaming in the boys restroom so I ran over. When I got there, they were carefully carrying you to the nurse's office with blood all over your face."

I scratched the back of my head. "Sorry. I had a bad memory come back while I was treating a bloody nose."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shrugged. "It was just memories of bloodied toilets, trash bins, and tiles. I probably had extrememly bad bloody noses while I was in America."

Linda sighed. "Don't scare me like that. I thought someone had beat you down or something."

I gave a weak laugh. "I guess it wasn't a big deal. I just overreacted."

A tall, slender woman stepped into the room. "Dev, are you dizzy or feeling sick right now?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm feeling well."

She scribbled something on a notepad. "Good. There is only a half hour left of school. You can stay here or go back."

"I... I think I'll stay here for a bit."

She nodded. "Alright. Just don't cause any trouble."

The woman stepped out. Linda sat back in her dark chair and sighed. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." I pulled my legs out from the covers and let them hang over the side. "The woman said there is only half an hour of class left so we could stay here."

Linda leaned forward in her chair. "Did any other memories come back?"

I flinched at the question but I quickly told myself that she was the one trying to help me, besides the faceless Buruku. "I had a strange dream that may be a faint memory or just my imagination but I'm not so sure. The details are fuzzy but I think I can remember the basics."

"Can you tell me?"

I nodded. "I was in an airport. There were about four or five gates leading to different planes. I was standing in one of them, with a small backpack on my shoulders. I turned around to see a large group of people waving at me but one of them stood out. A young girl, about my age, held one hand behind her back as she waved at me with tears rolling down her cheeks." I felt my chest tighten and my eyes water but I kept going. "I couldn't see the faces of the people waving at me but when I woke up, I was crying. Even now, just telling the story, I can feel myself about to cry." I wiped my eyes with my arm and sniffled. "Linda, if I cry at such a  vague memory or dream, does that mean it had a great impact on my previous life?"

I saw something sparkle on Linda's face but it was too dark to be sure if I actually saw something or if I was just seeing something else. "Dev, I've never had amnesia so I can't relate to your situation, but I'm pretty sure that if you cry to something you don't remember happening to you, then it must be that shard of reality you lost on your way through life."

I froze. Those words were not only solid but were seemingly put together by a prophet. They were deep and filled with purpose, not a single silible placed in for filler. How could I respond to such a sentence? It was too perfect, too fragile to add on to.