Chapter 13

The water from the shower was cold when I turned it on but that was okay. I shut the water off and poured shampoo onto my hands. I started scrubbing the soap on my hair before I reached for the soap bar and started scrubbing my body. I couldn't help but think about how Jared had reacted to my mile time. He seemed to hated it as if I had once been an olympic runner and suddenly dropped to a child's time. I stopped scrubbing and looked down. How could I make it up to him? I'm not fast enough to keep up with him, I don't have my memories, and I'm not going to spend time training when I was planning on returning to Japan and quitting the running team.

The curtain suddenly slid op. en and Linda started at me in horror. I jumped in surprise and slipped. Linda screamed and turned away. Once I stood up I turned away from her.

"I'm sorry," Linda said. "I thought you had finished taking your shower."

"I-I just turned off the shower to save water..."

"I... will go now... sorry about..."

"No, I should have locked the door..."

I heard the door shut and I closed the curtains. I picked up the soap bar and turned the water back on to wash the soap off of my body. Once I finished, I stepped out, dried off, slipped into some clothes, and stepped out of the bathroom. Linda was leaning against the wall beside the door. When we looked at each other, we both went red. I turned to walk away but Linda grabbed my hand.

"I...I'm sorry..."

"I-It's fine. It was... uh... an accident..."

I pulled out of her grasp and walked to the laundry basket two rooms away. I tossed the clothes into the basket and sighed. About a minute later, I heard the shower turn on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Linda! It's been so long!" One of the girls jumped onto Linda and embraced her. Linda nearly fell over but she managed to keep herself upright. "How was Japan?"

"It was great," Linda said. "Never a dull moment."

"So who's the guy behind you?" The other girl asked.

Linda glanced at me. "Oh! This is Dev Lunesu, you know, the guy who chose Japanese citizenship over the American. He's the reason I ran off to Japan."

The girl holding Linda jumped back with a gasp. "So this is the boy you ran off to see. Tell me, are you two dating now?"

I felt my cheeks burn. I honestly didn't know the anser to that. I was about to ask Linda but she quickly grabbed my arm and kissed me. When she pulled back, she smiled up at me. "Are we?"

I felt my body tense. "I-I-I... Y-yes?"

"Oh! So cute!!! Why don't you two get a picture together? Maybe you two should go out at one of the other cafes nearby and just be adorable!"

The other girl sighed. "Great, you're making us your third and fourth wheels."

"Oh," Linda suddenly looked embarrassed. "The energetic one is Heather and the depressed one is Luna."

"Nice to meet you, Devvy!" Heather said.

"Don't be an ass," Luna said.

I bowed slightly. "Nice to meet you two as well."

Both of their eyes filled with a slight surprise.

"Well, looks like you have some manners," Luna said with a dark smile. "I can't wait to see what else you do."