𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝘴𝘤𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤?

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 — science or magic?

━━━━━━━

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐔𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐎𝐅 the mystic arts is as old as civilization. The sorcerers of antiquity called the use of this language spells" The Ancient One began once Stephen had taken his seat beside Emilia who had swiftly found her stop atop an old cushion and tucked her legs beneath her, "But if that word offends your modern sensibilities, you can call it program. The source code that shapes reality. We harness energy drawn from other dimensions of the multiverse, to cast spells, conjure shields and weapons to make magic."

 The Ancient One, as she spoke, moved her hands before her in intricate patterns that Stephen could barely keep up with, though his eyes had widened to drink every ounce of magic in. Emilia, however, sat back with a small smile adorning her features, well aware of the spell the Ancient one was displaying.

 Amber and golden sparks alighted the three of them, circles formed and lines dribbled out of them all connecting to make a bigger picture, it was as though the Ancient One was simply reiterating her point from the previous day, you do not see the whole.

 Once the spell was complete, Emilia turned to Stephen only to see a smile of amazement on his face, his eyes weren't even blinking, staying wide as though he almost couldn't believe what was happening before him, and then, like that, the spell fizzled out into light sparks that rained down on the three of them like confetti.

 Emilia never grew tired of it, seeing the Ancient One and the other sorcerers cast spells; it was magnificent, enchanting almost. Even just the simplest of spells, even just conjuring a portal with the sling ring brought pure wonder to Emilia. She felt like a child again, not a worry in the world... Until she was finally reminded that her particular gift was not as magnificent nor kind. It didn't spark joy, it drained it.

 Stephen's gaze followed the few sparkling lights that fizzled out in the light breeze that drifted around them before shaking his head, a sigh falling from his lips. His sight was trained upon the hands resting on his knees, dialled in on the long, pink scars that would permanently stain his skin and be a constant reminder of the very night his life fell apart. He could barely sign his name, let alone create the very magic the Ancient One had displayed to him.

 "Even if my fingers could do that, my hands would just be waving in the air." Stephen spoke without a trace of arrogance in his tone, nor aggravation, just genuine intrigue, "I mean, how do I get from here to there?"

 "Emilia, tell us, how is it you obtained your PHD's?" The Ancient One questioned the young woman in the room, her tone calm and soothing, just as always.

 Stephen blinked, shock coating his form as he turned his head to the woman seated beside him, their needs just barely brushing against one another.

 Emilia, however, ignored the look and answered the question with sincerity, the very way the Ancient One wished and knew she would answer, "Studying, practice, more studying."