Chapter Four

"Lilypaw." A cat's voice mewed. An unfamiliar scent flowed through the trees. She didn't respond.

   "Lilypaw, speak with me."

   The cat who spoke appeared in a flash of lightning. He stood in front of her as Lilypaw looked at him in amazement. 

   "You're one of the cats that spoke to me in my last dream."

   "Yes, I am. I was the tom that told you to beware."

   "Who are you exactly?"

   "I am Thunderstar, the first ThunderClan leader."

   "How are you speaking to me? Shouldn't you be dead?" The wind ruffled his ginger fur. He scuffled his white paws.

   "I am dead, young one. I speak to you from StarClan, a place where Clan cats go when they die."

   "Were all of the cats from last time dead too? Were they from StarClan?"

   "Yes. StarClan watches over all four clans. We give them prophesies to protect them. They are not always clear. To fulfill them, you must be loyal and faithful to StarClan."

   Lilypaw was astonished something like StarClan existed. It seemed absurd, yet true. An owl soared overhead, screeching as it flew.  Lilypaw felt fear travel through her whole body, from ears to tail tip. She knew what owls could do, feasting on kits and weak cats for prey. The owl was soon gone, and Lilypaw turned to face Thunderstar. But he had disappeared. All she saw was the harsh twinkling of the stars above.

   Everything was peaceful, maybe even too much. Lilypaw was enjoying herself when StarClan suddenly hissed and spat. She turned around and saw a pile of bones. There were all sorts of varieties. Prey, dog, and even cat bones. It was pretty horrific if you asked Lilypaw. A tidal wave of blood washed away all the bones and swept over her. She drowned again, StarClan chanting, "Star and fire will save the Clan. They will come together to form a power that will save the forest and the clans hereafter.

   She faded into another dream. Lilypaw was standing in an alleyway in some twoleg place. There were few cats around. The cat closest to her was a small black tom with a white foot. He had a purple collar studded with teeth. He also had a nick in one ear, showing her had been through many fights. Considering how small he was, Lilypaw guessed he was a runt, like her.

   He suddenly stared at her with icy blue eyes, though Lilypaw was pretty sure he couldn't see her. The tiny cat mewed, "Bone? What's the report?"

   The cat that must've been Bone replied, "We have...visitors, Scourge. Your littermates have come asking for help."

   Scourge snarled, "Bring them here."

   The dream faded into blackness. "Beware, beware of a force that could destroy the forest."

   "Beware, beware."

              --------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Lilypaw jolted awake, panting heavily. Ravenpaw was gazing at her with slight concern. He seemed to realize she was looking and turned away. Firepaw poked his head in the den and mewed, "Oh good! You're awake. I brought you a magpie. Eat fast! Tigerclaw doesn't like it when you're late." He gestured with his tail to where the magpie was. 

   Lilypaw picked out pieces of moss from her fur. Great StarClan, this moss gets everywhere! She thought with annoyance. Firepaw left as Graypaw came back to the den. 

   "Mornin'! How was your first night?"

   "It was fine, I guess."

   "You were mumbling in your sleep, you know," Ravenpaw added.