Chapter Eleven

A brisk wave of scent filled with fear emitted from Yellowfang. Nevertheless, Yellowfang growled in defiance. The old cat struggled to her feet and sneered, "So long. Thanks for the meal." She tried to run but winced in pain. "Nuh! My leg's stiffened up, and my foreleg hurts from your bite!" Yellowfang hissed at Lilypaw.

   "Then don't pick a fight with me next time." Lilypaw retorted, baring her sharp fangs.

   Suddenly ThunderClan arrived, their tails swishing in confidence. Lilypaw scrambled to her paws at the arriving cats. Bluestar was in the lead, and behind her was Tigerclaw, Darkstripe, Willowpelt, and Graypaw. They must've gotten back from the WindClan patrol. Lilypaw thought. Bluestar twitched her tail, and all the warriors circled them. 

   "Hi." Firepaw hastily greeted the Clan. Graypaw returned the hello, his tail up in joy.

   "Silence!" Tigerclaw growled. Graypaw recoiled at his harsh words.

   Lilypaw shot Graypaw a sympathetic look. She knew how Tigerclaw could get with apprentices! But now that she thought about it, Lilypaw noticed something different. Tigerclaw was never rude to her. He was only rude and uninviting to other apprentices. Lilypaw found this weird, considering Tigerclaw hated kittypets. Not the time, Lilypaw. You have other matters to deal with. She thought. 

   Yellowfang had crouched down, her face twisted in a sneer. Still, fear-scent seemed to pour off of her in waves. Darkstripe wrinkled his nose. He definitely smelled it. Bluestar's voice broke the tension in the group. "Firepaw, Lilypaw? What have we here? An enemy warrior- and recently fed by the smell of you three." Bluestar's voice was calm and orderly, yet her eyes gave away smoldering anger. Firepaw dropped his head under her gaze.

   "She was weak." Firepaw mewed.

   "And don't forget hungry," Lilypaw added.

   "Yes, that too." Firepaw agreed.

   "And what about you apprentices? Was your hunger so bad that you had to feed yourself before you had gathered prey for the Clan?" Bluestar drew a deep breath. "I assume you both had a very good reason for breaking code?"

   Now Lilypaw knew she was furious, and she had good reasons to be. Firepaw was also not fooled by the strong leader's voice. In response, Firepaw crouched lower to the ground. He opened his mouth to explain himself, but Tigerclaw spoke first. "Once a kittypet, always a kittypet!" He hissed. "Except for Lilypaw, it seems. She's like a normal Clan cat to me." Tigerclaw finished.

   "Tigerclaw, she just broke the warrior code. And by eating, nonetheless! That sounds like kittypet instinct." Willowpelt spat.

   "She's less a kittypet than any of you! Lilypaw barely even lived the life of one! Remember her story?" Tigerclaw retorted. Lilypaw's mind flooded with images of her first day in the Clan. How stressful that was!

   "Silence! We will discuss this later." Bluestar ordered. Willowpelt sat down and curled her tail over her feet. 

   "Well, well, Lilypaw and Firepaw! It looks like you have caught us a ShadowClan cat. And one I know well. You are ShadowClan's medicine cat, are you? What are you doing so far into ThunderClan territory?" Bluestar asked.

   No wonder she knew about the prophecy! Maybe she can tell me who 'fire' is. Lilypaw realized.

   "I was the ShadowClan medicine cat. Now I choose to travel alone." Yellowfang hissed, her yellow eyes blazing.

   I can't believe I didn't notice it before! Traveling must've hidden her Clan scent. Maybe if I would've known, I could've asked her more questions about the prophecy. Taking a glance at Firepaw, he was surprised too. And from the feelings in his eyes, it looked like he would've enjoyed shredding her more if he knew she was a Clan cat.