Chapter Five

Lilypaw walked out of the den, her heart pounding like the pattern of rainfall. The moon was high in the sky, telling Lilypaw that it was the middle of the night. The air was chill, showing that new-leaf wasn't entirely here yet, but was close. She turned her attention back to the ruckus in the clearing. To her surprise, it was Frostfur and her kits. Cinderkit was up against a bush, the branches cracked and broken. Another kit, which must've been Cinderkit's brother, gazed at Lilypaw with bright amber eyes. The last kit, a she-kit, was mewing tauntingly, "Haha! I beat you, Cinderkit! See that, Ivykit!"

"Come on, kits. It's time for bed!" Frostfur cried out.

"Trouble?" Lilypaw questioned.

"Yes, these kits just won't go back to sleep."

   "What's going on out here?" Firepaw walked out of the den with Graypaw, Ravenpaw, and Hailpaw. The rest of the apprentices followed on their own accord.

"Frostfur's kits won't go to bed," Lilypaw answered.

"Yes, I need help. Do any of you apprentices know how to get these troublemakers asleep?"

   Lilypaw thought for a moment. Nothing clever came to mind. The others couldn't think of anything either. Silence suffocatingly filled the air when it hit her. Her mother used to sing a special song when she wouldn't go to bed.

"I know a song." Lilypaw mewed.

"Really? I'll take anything at this point." Frostfur exclaimed.

"Ha! What's the song about? Eating kittypet food all day? Sleeping in the same nest as twolegs?" Maplepaw mocked.

   Lilypaw glared at her, which shut her up. Frostfur then mewed, "Brackenkit! Cinderkit! Sunkit! Come here, please!" The kits came over and sat down.

"What, mom?" Cinderkit asked.

"Lilypaw has a song for you."

Lilypaw looked at the three kits. "So, why aren't we going to bed?"

"We don't want to sleep as long as Ivykit is awake." Sunkit licked her white-striped golden fur.

Lilypaw looked at Frostfur for an explanation. "Ivykit was a kit of mine. She was part of this litter. Ivykit died a few days before you came here, Lilypaw."

"I see. Kits, Ivykit's awake? I'm sure she's sleeping, as you should be."

"No! Her star is out. She's awake! We want to play with her! We don't want to listen to your song!" Sunkit mewed, her yellow eyes shining with defiance. Three pairs of eyes glared at her, dark blue, amber, and yellow. 

"Oh, listen to the three of you. You're all worrying far too much. After all, you can't lose what you've never lost."

"I don't understand." Brackenkit mewed, the wind ruffling his golden-brown fur. The three kits came and sat down, their wide eyes curious.

She took a deep breath and began to sing.

Do you ever lie

Awake at night

Just between the dark

And the morning light

Searching for the things

You used to know

Looking for the place

Where the lost things go

Do you ever dream