vii. sweet caroline

"Okay, guys

"Okay, guys. We're a little behind for sectionals... thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour. But you guys seem to really enjoy doing mash-ups, right? And I'm gonna keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things are so different, they don't feel like they go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great. Like... chocolate and bacon." Schue said, entering the room.

"That's disgusting." Maria whispered to Kurt, regarding the chocolate and bacon.

"Or Glee Club and football." Finn added.

"Exactly. But you've proven that it isa great combination. So... here is... my personal favorite song. And your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it." Schue explained, handing out sheet music.

"Bust a move." Kurt stated, slightly disgusted and rightly so - the lyrics to that song are so... creepy and misogynistic, Maria thought, the song passes the vibe check but when you think more into the lyrics it's not it.

"Yeah, this song is old school." Mercedes added.

"All right. Um, Artie." Schue declared.

"Yeah?" Artie replied.

"Try to follow along on the bass." Schue instructed, before Artie moved to the instruments.

"Finn, take us through it." Schue ordered.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester. I got corn syrup in my eye." Finn complained.

"Okay. Uh, Puck. How about it?" Schue asked.

"I don't really groove on Young MC." Puck replied.

"I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now." Rachel whined.

"Rachel, don't you think you're being a bit dramatic? I mean literally only two of the six men in this room have this so called lack of leading-man ambition and we all know Kurt was born to be the star of the show and we all also know that you've already forgotten Mike and Matt exist so..." Maria ranted.

"It's okay, Rachel. I guess I'm gonna have to show these guys how it's done. Bust it!" Schue declared, cutting Maria off before she had the chance to explain that if he wasn't on the bass Artie could've totally passed Rachel's beloved leading-man ambition vibe check.

Maria & co were vibing out gossiping in the choir room when Schue walked in and killed the atmosphere. "So... any ideas for the mash-up?" he asked. Maria, for one, did but she wasn't done with it and also they'd all kind of decided that they mutually hated this assignment and she was also too socially awkward to perform anything intimate settings. Maria belongs on stage, and performing in smaller settings scared her. Almost like claustrophobia but for performing... performance claustrophobia. Anyways, they all ignored Schuester's question so he asked again "Anybody?"