xvii. here comes the rain

"Don't marry her, fuck me" Maria sang, with a smirk

"Don't marry her, fuck me" Maria sang, with a smirk. She was continuing her great-grandmother's happy homewrecking legacy and none-the-less to her favourite song and on the 4th anniversary of her death.

"Whore." She heard Rachel mutter between coughs.

"What was that, Berry?" she asked.

"I said you're a whore." Rachel clarified.

"Oh I'm a whore for paying tribute to my great-grandmother on the anniversary of her death?" Maria questioned, incredulously.

"No, you're a whore for using your great-grandmother's death to serenade my boyfriend!" Rachel protested.

"I'm not using my great-grandmother for anything, and the fact you'd accuse me of that is disgusting!" Maria yelled before storming out.

"She's better at that then you are." Maria heard Artie tell Rachel as she left. However the pride Maria felt in that moment was overshadowed by the fear and inner knowledge that Rachel was right: she was totally using her great-grandmother's legacy to steal Rachel's man and she wasn't sorry about it. It's what her Granny Dee would want. Actually she left each of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren boxes with various items she was gifting to us and an advice book - full of life advice she'd gained over her 82 years of life. Maria's was clearly the most valuable including a Tiffany & Co bracelet and the keys to her pink 1965 Cadillac. The life advice in her book included specific instructions that 'if you ever want someone else's guy sing them Don't Marry Her by The Beautiful South'. So that's what Maria did. Somewhere up above Deena George was clapping for her. And probably Grandma Tracy too, reluctantly, of course, but it was still happening.

"I am very disappointed in you guys." Schue berated. To be honest, Maria doesn't know why they're getting told off because she tuned out when Schue began talking because, quite frankly, she find imagining Jesse and her singing 'Love is Strange' from Dirty Dancing brings her more joy than whatever Rachel flavoured drama they had to suffer through that week.

"I can't believe you narced on us." Finn complained in disbelief.

"Can't you?" Maria questioned incredulously, "I absolutely can."

"Don't get mad at me for exposing your laziness. I'm tired of carrying all of your weight. Regionals is in a month, guys." Rachel stated.

"Carrying all our weight? Bitch please, you couldn't carry Quinn's unborn child!" Maria retorted, earning a glare from Rachel and a stifled laugh from Jesse, who had just recently returned from spring break.

"I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. Finn, why did you stop singing?" Schue asked.

"Cause you started giving all the male leads to Jesse. It kind of shook my confidence, y'know." Finn complained.