Chapter 8~ "Cry it Out"

Sugawara gently wiped the single tear on his cheek with a pale hand. For a while, he looked down on the peacefully-sleeping Mayonaka - her hair resting behind her in bluebell waves, her silver markings twinkling in the glowing moonlight streaming through his window, in an off-beat similarity to his own. 

To any stranger, a resemblance would immediately make itself present. The two might even be siblings. However, to Daichi, these peculiar elves had something more than that; some special relationship that he could not ponder about. It would have made sense to him had he taken more consideration on the topic, but in this particular moment, that was not what his brain was focused on. 

For a few seconds neither one of them moved. It was as if time was frozen; all sound blanked from existence. The planet stopped spinning. The wind stiffly turned into still air. The grey-haired moon elf sitting on the chair without altering his position. The indigo-head's chest rising and falling as she took breaths. The brunette standing, stunned, in the doorway. All of a sudden, a voice cut through the stillness; a deep voice, dripping with hurt. 

"Suga..?"

The aforementioned's head swivelled around to stare, wide-eyed, at the voice. The voice of the person he had met only a few days ago; the person he had only begun to know; the person to whom he had sworn an unsaid oath to protect and serve. And all of a sudden, the world was moving again. The noisy hustling and bustling of life returned. A breeze started blowing outside. And amidst all this newfound action, small droplets of water built up in the moon-elf's eyes, pushing against his eyelids as if they were prisoners in a fiery rage to escape their cells. In this they succeeded, crashing down Sugawara's soft skin and dripping onto the floor. At the same time, he stood up, ignoring the fact that his legs were shaking a bit too much to bear his torso's weight.

Let us rewind a little to the point where Daichi heard Sugawara's story. While he listened, he had felt an irresistible urge to... to what? He didn't know. He just knew that he wanted to do something urgently, and it was uncompromisable. At that time, his curiousity had suppressed this urge. As he kept listening, his urge grew bigger and bigger. At that moment, it had reached its peak of appealingness, and he could not ignore it. 

And so, as he had done a while ago, he let his instinct take over. Soundlessly, he walked over to the moon elf and wrapped his arms around Sugawara's frail body. He heard Sugawara emit a gasp, his body tensing; the opposite reaction Daichi had wanted. In an attempt to calm him down while at a loss for words, Daichi said in a low voice, "Cry it out." 

He felt the moon elf relax, and shaking hands grasp the back of his shirt. He lifted up a hand and started to gently stroke Sugawara's hair as the shorter male cried his heart out into Daichi's shoulder.