The Hysterical Soldier: Alexander Dockter

---- Section of Alexander Dockters medical file ----

Prior to enlistment, Patient Alexander Dockter lived on his parents farm in Ballater, Scotland. In retrospect, Patient demonstrated early signs of discontent with his station in life. Concerning the war effort, Patient exhibited no interest in fulfilling his duty, unlike other young man that willingly enlisted.

In early summer 1917, Patient enlisted into the army. According to personal record, he was very hesitant and reluctant to have done so. Patient was now officially bound to head to combat. By all accounts, Alexander Dockter was a dreamer. A man far away from reality.

When he left for France, Patient was still reluctant, still unhappy to do be heading for the front line. Patient later clarified: Life in Scotland was no joy, but was truly heaven compared to the horrors witnessed at the front.

Patient was part of the 2nd Highland Platoon in the 5th scottish Regiment and stationed near Messines. According to letters obtained from families of his deceased platoon members, Patient was outside of his platoon's liking. The only man Alexander remained on good terms with was a fellow private named Lewis Thompson.

The day prior to his platoons over-the-top charge, one of the Patients unit members was shot dead as he peered over the top of the trenches. It was reported that Patient was standing right next to him when it happened. Likely, witnessing this event only added to his well-documented lack of courage and hysterical fear of combat.

The next day, during the over-the-top charge, Patient refused orders to follow his platoon members. According to report, Patient was to offer support fire while his platoon charged ahead. Patient remained in a crouched position, crying and offering no response to orders, even when threated at gunpoint by his commanding officer, Lieutenant Davies. Eventually, Davies knocked the Patient unconscious and joined in the charge, resulting in his own death.

All members of Alexanders platoon were killed in action. The Patient was the only survivor.

After the disastrous attack, Patient was sedated and transported to the Isolation ward on the military commissioned ocean liner RMS Validus. Here, the Patient went through the Second Life Act procedure, a stand-of-the-art neurological attempt to transform cowardly impulses into couragous behavior. According to the doctors, Patient appeared to be nervous and unwilling to voluntarily submit to the procedure.

The Patients response to the procedure was severely negative and he was left in an nearly animalistic state of mind. Patient became severely paranoid, believing that platoon members had been brought back to life to take revenge on him for his battlefield cowardice. Most likely, unsuccessful Second Life Act procedure in combination with severe guilt complex has pushed Patient into a permanent state of delirium.

Directly after the RMS Validus was struck by a torpedo on the night after the procedure, Patient was temporarily left in the ward section while priority transports and crew members were evacuated to the boat deck. After the last life boat was prepared for departure, a small team was sent down to retrieve the last Patient: Alexander Dockter. According to witnesses, the ward was flooded beyond entrance and Patient was found in First-Class corridors in a state of severe panic and delirium. He then attempted to assault one of the crew members. Patient was knocked out, sedated and transported of the sinking vessel.

After the Patient was evacuated off the vessel, he was declared mentally unfit for trial as a result of an unsuccessful Second Life Act. The Patient was remanded to the Cranor Gate Asylum and underwent extensive interviews and mental analysis. Even 20 years after the events, Patient still claims he is stuck on the RMS Validus as it takes on water and complains of his platoon members haunting him to this day.

With no progress made and no prognosis of achieving even a remotely successful recovery, Patient will remain in the Asylum for the remainder of his days.