Chapter Three

"Cass, Time to get up!" Riles sang in my ear. She was shaking my arm violently. I groaned and opened my eye. I glared at her and she smiled. Outside we were at a gas station in Portland, Oregon. It was Cloudy and very cold. Riley’s friend, the trucker, was pumping gas into the tank and Riles was packing my pillow pet back into my bag. “We’re leaving right now. Better start walking early.” She said. “Here I got you a coffee from Starbucks.” She handed me Venti sized cup. I took a sip. It was Eggnog Butter Rum Mocha. As we got out I collected my things as she said goodbye to her friend. I went to the gas station’s dirty bathroom to change. I put on my Iron Maiden t-shirt with my black ripped jeans and floral stockings underneath those. I took big gulps of my drink of the way out of the bathroom. I walked out into the deserted parking lot. Riles was waiting for me with one ear phone in. “Morning sleeping beauty, how is the coffee?” She asked smiling.

“It’s great. I love Eggnog.” I replied smiling.

“Good. I’m glad I made the right choice. Now, let me see your thumb.” She took my hand. I gawked at her. “Well, hold it up.” She said like I was the weird one. I held it up. “Look you have a Hitchhiker thumb! Now let’s go hitchhike.” I laughed at her as we started walking. We got to the side of the highway and started holding out our hands for a ride.

An hour later we gave up and rested for a moment. “This sucks.” I mumbled.

“Don’t worry we’ll get a lift.” Riles smiled at me.

“Oh Riles. You give me hope.” I said and we linked arms. We got up and started twirling with our arm out and our thumbs up. Laughing we saw a big black bus slowing down ahead of us. We smiled and ran up to the door and out came someone me and Riles did not expect to see. Out jaws dropped when we saw him. It was Beau Bokan of BlessTheFall.

"Hello, I Beau." I heard Riles Squeak. Beau laughed and yelled over his shoulder into his bus."HEY GUYS. LOOKS LIKE THE HITCHHIKERS ARE FANS." He smiled and looked back at us. "What your names and where you going?" 

"I- uhm- well- we-" Riles stumbled and looked down blushing.

I smiled "I'm Cassandra and this is Riley. We're going to L.A to see your show but we obviously need a ride." I said keeping my voice even.

"Do you two have tickets?" He asked. I looked at Riles. She nodded. "Well we can give you a ride and you two can hang with us backstage." He said with a wink. Me and Riles beamed at each other and  followed him onto the bus. Elliot and Eric was sitting in the bus's lounge area. They had curious looks on their faces. 

"Hey, I'm Eric." He said. 

"I'm Cassandra and this is Riley." I said pointing to my red faced friend. She almost matched her hair. 

"Hi, I'm Elliot." Elliot smiled. Riley's face suddenly lit up when she looked at him.

"They're heading to our show in L.A." Beau informed them. 

"Oh cool. Now we can party with some new people." Eric grinned. 

"Man, look at them. They look underage. They can't drink." Elliot pointed.

"Me and Cass are 17. No, we can't drink but we can party." Riles replied swiftly. I just grinned at her. 

"Whoa. She talks!" Beau said jokingly. 

All the way from Oregon to Cali We hung out and got to know each other. Jared and matt came out from back of the bus and hung out too. I sat next to Riles but she sat closer to Elliot. Maybe a little too close. They were talking like they were the oldest friends. She is going to turn 18 soon so it would be legal for them to start dating. I think they would make a cute couple. I went on the computer and saw something I didn't want to see. It was a news article with my face on it. They were looking for me. I quickly closed the page and looked at riles. Once she saw the look in my eye she knew something was wrong.

"Riles, I need to speak with you alone." I told her. I could feel everyone’s eyes on us.

"Uhm. Okay." She said. We both got up and walked to the back of the bus. "What's wrong?" She asked concerned.

"My parents are looking for me. I'm on the News." I said. Her eyes were wide in shock. I took my phone out and threw it out the window. 

"Did you see anything about me?" She asked.

"No, I didn't look. But you probably are." I said. She went on the laptop that was sitting on the couch and checked. 

"I am." Her voice was low. "What do we do?" She asked looking back up to me. 

"We stay low and you get rid of your phone." I said. "And we should change our looks." I added.

"Like our hair?"

"Yeah and how we dress, and how we speak. We have to be different people." 

"What about our names?" She asked in a sad voice. 

"We should get fake IDs" I said. "I know someone who can get those for us." 

"But would he know that we're on the run" 

"Of course he would but he wouldn't care. If I pay him up then he won’t ask questions or tell someone." She only nodded this time.

A voice came from behind me. "Is everything fine?" It was Eric.

"Yeah. We just needed to discuss... A plan for after the show tonight." Riles said.

"Yeah... About that... The show got cancelled." He said frowning.

"Why!?" 

"The venue is closed." He said.

"That sucks." I said.

 "Yeah but you two are invited to hang out tonight at Beau's house." He said smiling.

"Uhm. we can't.. we have..." I looked at Riles for help.

"We have to go visit someone... And now that there’s no show we could surprise him..." She's so good at lying. 

"Oh come on, babe, you have to come!" It was Elliot.

"Okay I guess we can go. Our friend can wait." Riles said smiling. 

"Are you sure? Cause we could get in trouble for this." I hissed the word 'trouble' as a hint to her.

"I think we can handle it" She replied.

"Great!" Elliot said grinning. I'm so pissed at her for falling for someone she just met. I had a bad feeling about tonight but I had to stay with Riley. We're best friends... Forever.