Chapter 1

The Unknown

I was standing in a large bedroom, the walls coated with shadows so deep that the light from the fire roaring in the fireplace couldn't penetrate them. The bed was massive and covered in white furs and mounds of pillows decorated with gold filigree. The room was empty aside from a massive fireplace and the bed I was lying on. My fingers slid over the furs on the bed, so incredibly soft and real. I took one from the bed and laid it out in front of the fireplace, curling up on the snow-white furs and staring into the roaring fire.

Watching the flames flicker and dance soothed my aching chest. I don't know how long I sat there, mesmerized by the dancing flames. The room was peaceful, a nostalgic comfort my heart begged for, but my mind didn't recognize. A dark figure unfurled from the shadows in the corner of the room. He sat beside me in still comfort, staring into the flames that did nothing to reveal his features. A warm hand gripped my own, and I stared up into silver orbs. Warmth and peace coating the moment with loving fingers. Silver eyes drifted close as my fingers traced the features that I could feel but couldn't see, scratchy stubble, a strong nose, long lashes. He brought our entwined hands to his mouth and pressed gentle soft lips to the back of my hand. My hand was released as an arm curled around me, tucking me into his warmth. I sighed, praying to gods that were asleep that this moment would be eternal.

But it slipped through my fingers like sand.

Something twitched in my throat, wrenching me unceremoniously from the darkness that had claimed me.

My body jerked forward on its own and my eyes snapped open as bile surged up my throat. I barely had time to register what was happening before I vomited.

My throat burned fiercely as I retched, feeling as though it were ripping apart.

My eyes watered, my stomach emptying dirt and stomach acid from me in a painful waves. When my stomach was finally completely empty, I was suddenly thankful for the purging.

Because those were worms and bugs wiggling about in the dirt and vomit mix.

Gagging hard at the sight of what had been in my throat while I was passed out, I scrambled away from the vomit in a crab walk only to let out a yelp. My hand had landed on, went through, something warm, squishy, and wet. I slowly looked over my shoulder, scared to see what it was.

I screamed.

I jerked away gagging, only to land back in my vomit, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

My hand had gone through a carcass of an animal so mutilated that I couldn't identify what it was. It was flayed and broken; only small patches of charred fur remained. Its mouth open in a silent scream, one eye hanging from its head and one eye missing. Something popped beneath my foot.

No, not missing, I realized.

I lifted my bare dirt covered foot to reveal the smashed remains of the eye, stuck between my toes and pasted on the bottom of my foot.

Suddenly, my empty stomach had plenty of vomit left in it.

And for the second time since I had awoken in this world, I retched and retched... and retched.

********************

Ekon

The Smog was in a riot when the news spread. And it was not a pleasant place to be when there was any sort of excitement.

It wasn't a pleasant place to be at all, actually.