Chapter 12

Ekon

It was not often that I had no idea how to handle a situation. I had always been the calm one, the rational one.

But when the Harbinger thrust me from my memory and held Esther hostage, I lost my ever-loving shit.

I don't even know how she managed it. But we had never understood the unholy power she possessed.

Even so, I should've anticipated something like this happening.

I had stood helpless as cuts ripped in long lines down her fair flesh, as sizzling crimson ran from her wide vacant eyes. As the Harbingers mocking laughter had rang through my mind, the promise in the sound freezing my already mutilated heart.

I sighed and rubbed my face, slumping in my chair by the bed Esther laid unconscious on. The castles' healer had tended to her tirelessly, the wounds covering her body had been deep and extensive.

Her body had not healed itself, the magic drained by whatever she had endured after the Harbinger had hijacked the mind linking spell.

Prisca, the most talented healer in the castle, had easily remedied the situation. Though it hadn't been easy to convince her to work on Esther.

Prisca was horrified when she saw the unconscious female, and if she had any magic other than healing, I'm sure she would have ended me right then and there.

I would have let her.

******

Esther slept for three days before she awoke, her body fully recovered. As well as her appetite it seemed.

"What happened after you were ripped from my memory?"

She stuffed another cracker laden with cheese and prosciutto into her mouth. "I don't really know." A hearty drink of water, "gods I am starving."

My mouth tightened.

"Esther, I need to know what the fuck happened." The leash on my temper was frayed, and exhaustion was waying on me. I hadn't slept for days, despite my body demanding it.

She finally glanced up from her food and gave me a curious glance, "you look like shit."

"Thanks," I glared at her.

Esther brushed her hands on her leathers and leaned back on the settee, crossing her arms. "I don't remember what happened."

I watched her carefully, her thoughts a tangled mess, but empty of the truth she had dropped like a bomb at my feet.

I sighed and scrubbed at my face, relief and disappointment warring in my mind.

I placed my hands on my knees and pushed myself into a standing position, trying to ignore the aching of my backside. I had sat at her bedside while she slept, refusing to leave even when my sister threatened to hack my balls off if I didn't go get some rest. I should've listened.

"Let's go."

Esther gave me a confused look, "where?"

"Time for you first training lesson."

She sighed, eyeing the decimated tray of food on the table longingly.

"I'm still hungry."

I looked at the ceiling, trying for patience.

*************

Esther

The training yard was blindingly bright in the afternoon light. The flawless white stone covering the ground was awash in sunlight and radiating delicious heat. I had the odd urge to strip off my clothes and bathe in the rays of sun like a cat.