Chapter 14

Esther

I read until I thought my eyes would bleed and my stomach would cannibalize itself. Devouring the disturbing book for so long that sunlight crept through the world and the castle began to stir. Forcing me to retreat to my room, lest someone find me and the book I knew was supposed to stay hidden.

The book was filled with hundreds of worlds that my mind depicted so clearly, I could feel the foreign flora beneath my feet. Smell the sulfuric air of the volcanic world called Moroga. Feel the blood of numerous civilizations on my hands.

But the book would remain my horrific little secret, because I couldn't bear the thought of leaving it behind.

I slide the large tome into a hole I carved into the underside of my mattress, my hand grudging to leave it. The mattress fell into place with a soft slap, right as the door snicks open. I plop my butt down of the edge of the bed, rubbing at bleary eyes and feigning a yawn. I am not tired; my blood is hot and buzzing in my veins with anticipation as Ekon steps into my room. My eyes track him as he crosses his arms and leans against the door. Sliding up his bulging biceps to the pulse thrumming steadily at the strong column of his throat. Over the sharp jaw that is creeping with a shadow, and to eyes that are missing the harsh circles they held yesterday.

I clear my throat, "I see you finally got some sleep."

Ekon studies me in a way that makes my heart pound, "I see you, did not."

The beast in my chest is fully awake, its energy coursing through my body like lightening. Purring as it brushes along my bones, along the want that pools so suddenly I know it's not my own.

My skin heats, and I clear my throat again, bouncing to my feet and making my way to the closet. Suddenly desperate to put more space between me and his overwhelming sandalwood and utterly masculine scent. "I slept just fine," I glance at him over my shoulder with a forced grin, "but thank you for your concern."

I snag my spare leathers and slip into the bathing room, trying to breathe through my mouth. It doesn't help, I can smell him even through the bathing rooms cloying wet and floral scent. My head gives a painful throb that is echoed in my stomach.

Ekonnnnn

The beast's moan causes me to stiffen as it slithers through me, setting fire along my insides.

Get your shit together.

I quickly slide into my leathers, trying to ignore that they are too tight along my hot skin.
I step out into the room with a grateful sigh. The coffee table is laden with breakfast, the settee laden with a concerned looking Ekon. I rush to the table, a biscuit slathered with butter and honey on its way to my mouth before my ass even hits the navy cushion. I groan at the taste of the warm flaky biscuit.

No.

Then it hits my stomach like a stone. A hand snaps over my mouth, wide eyes locking onto Ekon. He stands at the same moment as me, following my frantic trail to the bathing room.

My knees hit the marble hard as my stomach thrashes, spilling into the toilet in violent waves. Ekon's hands hold back my hair, expertly weaving it into a braid as he murmurs soothing sounds. I can't find it in me to be embarrassed as his hand strokes my back in soothing circles as I retch.

My flushed forehead presses against the cool ceramic as I wipe my mouth and try to take deep breaths. "Too, hot," I pant out.
My skin feels as though it is melting the leathers to my body, melting through my bones. My breaths become increasingly erratic as Ekon's hand leaves me. Because he leaves me. I am vaguely aware of the sound of running water as I moan in pain.
This is agony.
True and so deep I can't calm my heart or my mind. I am dying, I am so absolutely positive I am going to die and I-