Chapter 7

The Unknown

My mind was running rampant after the story of the Ancients. I couldn't fathom the cruelty of the gods. A vicious part of me was hoping the gods' deaths were long and agonizing, and that they were all enjoying roasting in hell.

When I voiced that thought to Mallok, he laughed himself hoarse. The look he gave me sent a blush straight to my cheeks, which only worsened as he purred, "such a vicious princess."

I responded by throwing a pillow directly at his face.

The night flew by in comfortable companionship. The whiskey kept coming as Mallok told me stories of hunting incredible beasts, each one more outrageous than the last. And by the time Mallok began yawning, my head was buzzing with the alcohol enough that standing from the settee was a treacherous endeavor.

He snorted as I stumbled and I glared at him as he stood effortlessly, the ungodly amount alcohol apparently not fazing him.

I planted my hands on my hips in outrage. "How are you not drunk?" I chose to ignore the fact that my words were slightly slurred.

He shrugged, "if you saw the amount of alcohol my friends and I consume on Winter Solstice you wouldn't be asking me that."

I raised an eyebrow at the mention of his friends. Mallok had told me precisely nothing about himself aside from his outlandish hunting escapades. Curiosity peaked, I asked, "and where are these friends?"

A door slammed shut in his eyes, "at home."

He didn't elaborate.

"And where is home?"

He turned away from me and limped to the bed, "the Unseelie Court."

I had no idea what the layout of this world was, no idea where we were or where the Unseelie Court was. And maybe it was the alcohol, but suddenly my lack of knowledge about everything including Mallok, had me putting distance between us.

"Where are you going to take me?"

Mallok's shoulders tensed, "wherever you'd like."

Suspicion that had already been present began to grow.

"Why."

He pasted on a grin that felt too forced, "because I want to help you."

"Why were you in the Wistle?"

A laugh forced its way between his clenched teeth, "I already told you, I was hunting."

"And you just happened to be right next to the clearing that I was buried in?"

His expression darkened and a chill slid down my spine. "Again, I already told you I was being chased by the uni-bastards."

I didn't believe his story about the unicorns and bloomshrooms. Not for a second. They may have been chasing him but- I had been ignoring all of my suspicions because I genuinely wanted to believe he was just a kind male helping me. And that damned feeling of familiarity and comfort had kept me from being more cautious, more suspicious.

But suddenly, looking at Mallok and his tight face, all feelings of comfort drained. It felt like a haze had been ripped from my mind, leaving me feeling cold and sending the magic in my veins dancing.

"Bullshit."

His face paled, eyes dancing to my fingertips. I glanced down to see white sparking flames dancing on my fingertips.

"Esther, why-"

I cut him off, fists clenching, "Esther?" I whispered, the words coming out harsh and shaking. The name struck a chord of familiarity in me so violently I felt that I was going to be sick.