I am not your dirty secret

Neel did not even bother to reply to Anthony's question. He was busy sending a message to Manjari when he heard Imran answer Anthony's question, "That is Manjari. Our neighbor." Neel looked at Manjari with appreciation in his eyes. She always looked beautiful and today was no different. He made his way to her and leaning close to her ears said, "You look beautiful." Manjari smiled and was about to say something when they were interrupted by Anthony. "Hi! I am Anthony", he said sticking out his hand for her to shake." Manjari", she said shaking his hand. Anthony did not let go of her hand and continued to hold it on his own. This was making Manjari uncomfortable. "I do not think we have met before", he said. "No, we haven't", she said and tried to free her hand again. "Can I get you something"? he persisted. Manjari lost her patience and replied in a curt voice, "Yes, my hand please".

Anthony turned red from embarrassment and slinked away in the crowd. Neel chuckled to himself. He knew Manajri was a strong woman and would not take any nonsense from anyone. She looked at him, puzzled, "What is so funny? Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing. Let's go meet Imran."

"Ok."

They made their way through the crowd and were able to locate Imran standing with a group of people, regaling them with tales. Manjari thanked him for inviting her to the party and gave him a present. He opened it right there and was overjoyed to see that Manjari had given him a blue scarf which she owned and he had liked a lot. He modelled it there and then for her. Manjari turned to Neel and said, "I have something for you too!"

"I have you. What else could I possibly want?"

"Stop flirting. It doesn't work for me!"

"Whatever you say, amore!"

"Stop calling me that!"

"Where is my present?"

She gave him a bag from Strand- a popular bookstore in NYC. He opened the bag and was surprised to see Elif Shafak's Forty Rules of Love. He had been searching for that book for a while. He had visited every bookstore but no one had it. "Where did you find it?", he asked in awe.

"Got it. From NYC."

"Did you go to NYC for this????/"

"You wanted it. I got it."

He looked at her in wonder. "Come with me", he said.

He took her by her hand and started walking towards his bedroom. He opened the door to find people sitting there. He cursed under his breath. He had been very clear in his instructions to Imran- no people in his bedroom but all in vain. He looked around for a place where he could speak to Manjari privately. He took her hand again and walked her out of the living room, into the balcony. There was no one there. "Wait for me here", he instructed. He went inside and gathered a few things. He found Manjari exactly where he had left her and holding her hand, started climbing up the stairs to the rooftop. On reaching the rooftop, he spread a blanket for them to sit on. He entwined his hands with Manjari before bringing her around to the blanket and seating her and then himself in a way that Manjari's head was resting on her shoulders.. he dropped another blanket over both of them poured Prosecco for them in red plastic cups.

"To us", he said."To us", she reiterated.They spent the next few hours on the rooftop with Neel reciting Urdu poetry to Manjari. Manjari found this voice very soothing and seductive. his command over the language and understanding of poetry was impeccable. The party came to an end around 2 in the morning. Both of them made their way downstairs and were shocked to see the state of the house. Cups, pizza boxes, beer bottles were scattered all over the house. Neel turned to her with a request, "There is no way I can sleep in this mess. Can I crash at your place tonight?"Manjari looked at him mischievously and hooking her fingers with his said, " I thought you would never ask".