Chapter 6: Getting to Know Prince Charming

The ocean of jewels in the sky glittered above the city like a spotlight. I was perched comfortably on the top of the Eiffel Tower, sitting on the railing of the lookout with my feet tangling off the edge. Paris was beautiful from up here, no matter how many times I've sat on the same railing at the tower during patrol. I was still mesmerised by how the specks of light of the city acted as a reflection of the stars that overhang.

I sighed in content as the chilly, midnight breeze glazed over my bare skin. I wasn't in my costume tonight, I just didn't want to be stuffed in a skin-tight suit in a night like this. It was cool, but not cold--as weird as that sounds--and the night guard was off on a holiday and replaced with a guard that didn't seem to care about doing his job.

When I arrived at the tower I found him sitting at his desk with his eyes glued to his phone. He was so immersed on whatever he was watching--which I didn't think was appropriate from the things I heard--that I didn't have to transform into Surveillant and disappear from sight.

While I perched on the metal railings Tino flew into my view.

"Danny, I'm concerned that you're not using your heroic identity, Surveillant." Tino spoke with a stoic expression, his arms crossed.

"Why?" I asked. My hands cupped the back of my head and I leaned my back in mid-air with my legs outstretched over the railing. With a satisfying pop from my joints I groaned from the slight ache of stretching my limbs. I heard Tino huff and I propped myself back to my original sitting position and met the kwami's twilight gaze.

"Because you're trespassing, what if someone sees a young man sitting on the edge of the tower where they can fall to their doom at any moment?" Tino reasoned and I shrugged.

"Come on. Who would be up here at this time of night?" I raised a brow at my bat-friend. I mean really who would be? It's three in the morning on a Saturday night. Not even Hawkmoth, Ladybug, Chat Nior or even Master Fu would be awake at this time. I had to sneak out of the window of the apartment to get here.

"Do not tempt the fates." Tino warned me and now it was my turn to huff in annoyance. I rolled my eyes at what he said and replied,

"Are you telling me not to jinx it? Tino I know what I'm doing, we've snuk out of the apartment and visit the tower everynight on a weekend, and you've never complained once!" I whipped my hands into the air. I really didn't understand why it was such a big deal to him now instead of any other night we've come here. His eyes narrowed and I narrowed mine. Then he tapped his chest.

"That's because you were Surveillant everytime we've perched on the tower. We had a means of escape from prying eyes so I didn't object to those times." Tino explained and I placed my hands back on the railing, I tightened my grip on the cool surface of metal as I listened to Tino. "But I also feel tense from the encounter we had with that man you called, Fruitloop." I flinched. It's been several weeks since I bumped into Vlad and I've been uneasy ever since. What made me even worried was the lack of akuma since these past few weeks. There were a few cases here and there but only one of them ended up being a concern. I let out another sigh but this time in defeat.

"This is your first time mentioning that." I told him and I saw that he was curious, his cartoonishly, big eyes couldn't hide it.

"I didn't want to pry, but I think I've turned a blind eye for too long." He stated and his arms slip from their interlock and laid on his sides. I chewed on my lip for a bit in thought. How was I going to explain Vlad to Tino? Should I tell him my past? My mind shuddered at that. The slightest mention of the past always caused the hairs on my skin to stand on end. I'll just tell him that he was a counsellor I knew from when I still had a home and went to a school, that also wants to start a business in the fashion industry, that he looks like a person who owned a bed out of money...How was I supposed to explain how I know a guy that was obviously loaded with cash? Well I couldn't, so the truth it is.