Chapter 8: Mall Drifting

The two wealthy men of Paris and Amity Park both stood in front of a metal cage, where what lies inside its green, illuminated bars was a spectre of a distorted figure.

Hawkmoth who narrowed his brows at the spectral creature was somewhat at a loss of words. He had been skeptical at first, after partnering with the man beside him, Vlad Masters, he thought the American had lost his mind when he explained that ghosts and the ghostzone existed. It was only until now that he believed it all to be true. Ghost were real, and so was the ghostzone where most inhabited in. The ghost in front of them now was a common type of phantom, from what Vlad Master had stated and was now going to be their subject of their experiment.

The infamous villain of Paris turned to his associate with a raised brow.

"You want me to akumatise a ghost? A non-living entity that lacks a physical form." The man recalled the halfa's suggestion. The half human, half ghost in question gave a knowing smirk.

"Word for word." Vlad reached into his inside pocket of his suit and took out a metallic ring. "This ring is made of compressed ectoplasm and nickel." The ghostly villain then slipped his arm through the bars and put the ring on the specter's wisp of a finger. "The ring should act as an anchor for your akuma to possess." Vlad explained to his magical partner. "Ghosts are restless souls who are chained by their emotions and regret, even if it's a common ghost its despair should be enough to attract your little butterflies." Vlad waved his hand in emphasis. Hawkmoth scowled at his childish gesture towards his akumas.

"They are moths, Masters." He corrected the ghost, who shrugged it off without a care. Hawkmoth turned back to the Phantom and did sense the feeling of regret radiating from it, but he still had doubts that the ring was enough for his akuma to take root in the phantom's heart. He needed the targeted object to be of sentimental value to his victim. He let out a sigh, he could try and provoke the spirit somehow. "All right, fine. Though there is no guarantee that this little experiment of yours will succeed." The moth Miraculous wielder turned to head to a desk where his cage full of pearlescent butterflies were and released one. He clasped his hands around the delicate insect and after a moment or two of surging his powers into the butterfly, he released it to reveal its dark transformation into an akuma. The akuma fluttered through room and had slight trouble navigating itself to the spectre, but eventually slipped through the cage's metal bars and akumatised the phantom.

"Haha! A success!" Vlad grinned maniacally. Vlad was right, it really did succeeded in akumatising the spectre and soon enough it transform in appearance and a phantom mercenary took its place.

Hawkmoth smiled at his new minion and found that it expressed no will to oppose him, "You shall be known as the Phantom Mercenary." the two villains' little experiment became a new and interesting discovery, and was definitely something to add to their plans.

***

School had ended and I had the rest of the day to find a present for Adrian. With a quick stop at home to drop off my bag, found Master Fu tending to a customer. I tip toed past with a wave to Master Fu who smiles and nods my way and I made it to my room to leave my things. As soon as I came in I left the apartment and headed straight to Quatre Temps, a large mall not far from here. A quick trip by bus I arrive at the mall. The mall to put simply was huge. From the outside the building was covered with clear, blue windows, and the mall itself was rectangular. Compared to Amity Park it was the largest mall I've ever stepped into- well Amity Park didn't have a mall, so the Qautre Temp was the only mall I've ever stepped into. As I walk around the mall, I came to revelation.

"What does Adrian want?" I stop walking and blink, the guy was literally rich and as far as I remember from my time in his room his shelf was stocked with every video game franchise and game console I could name and more. I wish I had Marinette with me to help. "I can try and call her, that's an idea." I conclude and went to a quieter area to start ringing her. It didn't take long for her to answer. "Hey, I gotta ask since you're the 'expert'. What does Adrian like?"