A New Life

Silverstream watched in anguish as her kin faded away, never to be seen again. Then she gleaned down at her own dead body and she began to feel a strange feeling. It was as if invisible cats were urging her to step inside of her body.

She took one last look in the direction her family had faded before taking a deep breath. You can do it, just step forward. She told herself.

Silverstream plunged forward towards her body, feeling frightened at the thought that maybe her family had given their souls for nothing, that she would be stuck in the world between the dead and the living forever.

As soon as she made contact with her limp, lifeless body, everything went black.

Darkness

Voices

Light

Graystripe?

Silverstream's eyes flew open, she felt weak and exhausted, her body shuddered with shaky uneven breaths. The first thing she saw as soon as her eyes had adjusted to the light were two yellow eyes. Shining with happiness, love, and relief.

"Silverstream!" The cat cried, "You're alive!"

The silver tabby queen purred and rubbed her cheek against the overjoyed Graystripe.

"Yes my love, I would never leave you." She thought, bittersweet memories cutting through her heart.

A gray head appeared next to Graystripe's, for a fleeting moment Silverstream thought Willowbreeze had come back to her. Disappointment filled her as she saw that these eyes were pale blue, not amber.

"How are you feeling? Does your stomach feel alright? Do you need some borage?" Silverstream felt overwhelmed as Cinderpelt peppered her with questions, gazing unwaveringly at the queen with enormous blue eyes.

"Give her some space Cinderpelt, she nearly died." Silverstream blinked gratefully at Fireheart, who was shoving the frantic Cinderpelt away from her.

"I never knew having kits could be so dangerous" The silver tabby murmured to herself.

Kits! Where are my kits?

Silverstream felt small paws kicking at her stomach and looked down to find her two kits curled up by her belly.

She purred and began licking her kits completely dry. She scented the smell of ThunderClan's deputy, Tigerclaw, On one of her kits. The queen stiffened and glanced around protectively before spotting the large brown tabby crouched under a bush, glaring at them.

Silverstream decided to ignore him for now and turned her attention back to her mate and kits. Graystripe was gazing at his kits with such a tenderness that Silverstream's heart cracked at the thought of what would have happened if she and her kits had not been saved.

"How about we name the gray tom-"

"Their names are Stormkit and Featherkit." Silverstream interrupted her mate. Graystripe looked at her with surprise before nodding.

"Those are beautiful names, they will grow up to be great warriors." He whispered, nuzzling his kits.

"Or medicine cats." Silverstream reminded him. Cinderpelt was gazing at the new family with adoring eyes while Fireheart was shuffling his paws uncomfortably.

A gray shape lurched into the clearing, panting. An anxious Brackenpaw followed.

"Yellowfang! Thank StarClan you're here!" Cindermist breathed as the old medicine cat shoved Fireheart unceremoniously aside.

Silverstream tried not to flinch as Yellowfang leaned closer to examine her. The gray cat's putrid breath washed over Silverstream as she tried not to gag.

The queen got prodded a few times before Yellowfang moved onto the kits.

"They look healthy." She grunted, but narrowed her eyes at the silver tabby. Silverstream bent her head and licked Stormkit across the head to avoid Yellowfang's gaze.

"What will you do with them?" A deep rumbling voice came from beneath a bush. Silverstream looked up at Tigerclaw in surprise, she had forgotten he was there.

Yellowfang let out a quiet hiss before answering, measuring her words carefully. "I expect Bluestar to punish Graystripe, I don't know what will happen to the RiverClan cat and her kits though."

Graystripe wrapped his tail protectively around his family. "There coming with me." Silverstream glanced up hesitantly, unsure how to respond.

"Or I go with them of course." Her mate hastily added when he caught her look.

Fireheart took charge, "Silverstream and her kits will come with us to the ThunderClan nursery, when they are well enough to travel we will decide what happens." Graystripe blinked gratefully at his friend and started to help Silverstream to her feet.

Fireheart and Cinderpelt picked up the kits and Brackenpaw fell into place beside Silverstream, helping her walk along with Graystripe.

They arrived at camp breathless, Tigerclaw had gone ahead to tell the clan so every cat was outside of their dens, excitement buzzing in the air.

As they walked to the center of the camp Bluestar padded out of her den. She gazed at them cooly, as if judging them carefully. "Tigerclaw has informed me of what had happened. Graystripe, do you care to explain yourself?"

Graystripe stepped forward, raising his chin defiantly. As he began to tell Bluestar what had happened Silverstream kept noticing Tigerclaw and Fireheart glowering at each other.

When he was done Bluestar nodded and was quiet for a few moments. "Graystripe, as a punishment for breaking the warrior code you will not attend gatherings for 4 moons. You will help the apprentices with their chores for one moon." Graystripe dipped his head in acceptance.

Bluestar trained her eyes on Silverstream. "The warrior code is what keeps us alive, yet I have learned that sometimes love has no boundaries. You must make a decision, stay in ThunderClan with Graystripe or return to RiverClan. You will only get one chance, don't change your mind when things aren't going your way."

Silverstream curled herself around her kits, leave the clan that raised her from the moment she was born? Silverstream's heart broke at the thought. She glanced up to see Graystripe gazing at her with love, Cinderpelt blinked at her encouragingly, Fireheart nodded at her and even one of the ThunderClan queens looked at her with kindness.

The silver tabby thought about the hearts she would break if she left RiverClan. Mistyfoot, Crookedstar, her foster siblings, her mentor.

Silverstream raised her head, he knew what she had to do.

"I will join ThunderClan." Her voice rang loud and clear through the clearing. Cats began muttering with each other, shooting suspicious glances at her.

A pretty golden queen padded up to her. She glared at her whispering clanmates and scoffed. "Ignore those mouse-brains, I started making a nest for you as soon as Tigerclaw told us a queen was coming! Follow me, I'm Goldenflower by the way."

Silverstream let out a sigh of gratitude as Goldenflower picked up Featherkit and padded towards a protected den. As the tabby queen entered with Stormkit in her jaws she gave her silent thanks to Bluestar for allowing her to stay with her precious Graystripe.

I finally finished What if Silverstream had Survived! This is my first completed short novel! All the chapters combined are 3066 words!! Thank you all for reading this book, I love you all!