Chapter 2 - Petra's Return

Jesse and Lukas walked backstage for Jesse's speech. Axel and Olivia were there, anxious. They hadn't seen Jesse since she left to go into the portal network. The two hadn't even really heard what happened, just that Jesse wasn't the same anymore. Olivia was biting her nails out of nervous habit. Axel was pacing. When Axel turned around and saw Jesse, his face brightened.

"Olivia!" Axel shouted, grabbing the thinner woman. Olivia smiled at Jesse.

"Jesse! You look... different," Olivia said, trying to sound positive. Jesse stepped forward. She put her hand on Oliva's shoulder.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys," Jesse said. Jesse noticed that Olivia's eyes were tearing up.

Axel was also tearing up a bit. The two of them couldn't believe what had happened to their best friend. Olivia was heartbroken. Axel couldn't believe that Jesse was smiling. Lukas noticed how upset they were. He looked to Jesse, who now had an expression of sadness as well.

"Come on guys, you're gonna make me cry. I have a speech to do, I can't be getting all puffy-eyed," Jesse said. Olivia burst out crying and collapsed into Jesse's shoulders. Jesse hugged her friend tightly.

"I just can't believe that this happened to you!" Olivia sobbed. Jesse rubbed her friend's back.

"It's okay, Olivia. Things happen, it's not the end of the world," Jesse said. Olivia got up and backed away from Jesse. Axel wiped away his tears.

Radar came around the corner. He had a headset on and was holding a clipboard. Jesse locked eyes with him and walked over to the taller boy. She had to look up to meet eye-to-eye with him, which Lukas snickered at.

"I have some general points to cover besides the whole reason behind this meeting, and I want you to take it with you," Radar said.

"Thanks, Radar!" Jesse said, taking the clipboard. She parted the curtains and looked out at the crowd.

Jesse walked up to the stand, shaking a bit. The townspeople gasped at the sight of her. They hadn't seen Jesse in almost a month. The crowd was silent as she walked up to the front, where a small podium stood. Jesse set the clipboard on top of it. She took a deep breath and then spoke.

"Hello everyone! I know it's been an awfully long time since any of you have seen me, but I promise you that it was for good reason," Jesse began, voice slightly shaky.

She was never the best at public speaking. Lukas, Axel, Olivia, and Radar knew this. Olivia bit her nails again. Axel continued his pacing. Lukas was attentive.

"The reason why, which I'm sure you can all see now, is because my arm had to be amputated," Jesse said, raising the remaining part of her arm and gesturing to it with her hand. The crowd gasped and began whispering things. Jesse got nervous and looked at Lukas. He walked up to her and put his arm around her shoulder.

"Jesse's been taking time away from running to town to adjust. That's why the majority of you haven't heard from her in a few weeks. One cannot handle that many responsibilities at a time, and Jesse is just like you guys," Lukas said. Jesse looked up and smiled at him.

Jesse wrapped up the speech with the points Radar wanted her to cover with fresh confidence. She offered to answer questions after but knew that a lot of them would be kind of silly to ask. Nevertheless, Jesse answered them. She loved her town and she loved her job.

~~

It was the night after the speech and Jesse was thinking about Petra again. She missed her so much, she couldn't wait for her to get back. She thought about all of the adventures Petra would go on, what kind of treasures she would find, and all the stories she would have to tell when she came home.