Chapter 8 - The Gauntlet

It was the dead of night. Romeo was roaming about the streets of Beacontown. Since he was an admin, he didn't need sleep. Nor did he need food, water, or any other basic human needs.

He used this to his advantage now. He would patrol the streets to make sure that nothing happened. Tonight was just like any other night. He strolled through the streets, ensuring that no danger would befall the town under the inky black cover of nighttime. He made sure that his footsteps were quiet, for he didn't want to wake anyone. His lava-like eyes drifted from side to side on the streets. The occasional zombie or spider would crawl out from the shadows. With the quick wave of his hand, it disappeared. 

Suddenly, Romeo heard footsteps approaching behind him. He straightened with back, alert. They grew closer. He whipped around just in time to see the familiar glow of the golden gauntlet that had taken his powers oh so long ago.

Behind the glowing fist was the face of Cassie Rose. She had a devious smirk across her face. Romeo had no time to react before she hit him square in the face. He fell to the ground. Romeo was completely frozen in fear, allowing Cassie to get a hit right in his ribs.

Romeo finally stood up, hovering just above her reach. His breathing has shallow and quick. His eyes were wide open, leaving two red and yellow beams projecting lightly on Cassie's devilish expression.

"Wh- how-" Romeo stuttered.

"I heard everything," Cassie mumbled deviously, "I know your plan. So, of course, I came here to..."

She trailed off, flexing her fingers that were cased in gold. She jumped up at Romeo, grabbing his ankle. She pulled him to the ground, pinning him with her foot.

"STOP YOU!" Cassie yelled, going in for the final hit. Romeo managed to blink himself away just in time. Cassie punched the ground. She yanked her hand out of the pavement, grumbling.

Romeo was panting. With every hit she tried to land on him, he pulled back. He grew more and more exhausted with every move. He got to the point where he couldn't pull back anymore.

Cassie went in for the hit. She was shocked when she did not see a flash of light with a human man skidding across the pavement, but rather a blonde man with a broken jaw falling into Romeo's arms.

"What the-" Cassie blurted.

"Lukas, what are you doing!?" Romeo cried. The blonde man tried to reply, but he could not.

"What the heck is going on out here!?" A familiar female voice called out.

"Jesse!?" Cassie gasped. Jesse's face contorted from confusion to pure rage.

"YOU!" Jesse screamed as she grabbed Cassie Rose by her shirt collar, "You're here to take away the one person that could protect my town! I'm done being nice to you, Cassie Rose! All you've done since you've escaped is created problems!"

Jesse threw the red-haired woman to the ground. Jesse pressed her foot against Cassie's chest. The woman that laid on the pavement was near tears out of fear.

"Jesse, let me go!" Cassie pleaded, "I'm sorry! It was all that admin's idea!"

"I don't believe that for a second," Jesse snarled.

"It's true!" Cassie begged, "Just let me go!"

"As long as you swear to never show your face here again," Jesse growled, "Then I'll let you go."

Cassie nodded. Jesse lifted her foot. Cassie threw the gauntlet off of her hand and ran for the gates. As soon as the red-haired woman could longer be seen, Jesse fell to her knees. She began to weep softly, horrified at what she had just done. Romeo laid Lukas somewhere safe and sat across from the young, crying woman.