Chapter 6 - Broken Chains

Jesse slumped against her cell wall, unable to look at her friends. You could hear a pin drop after what Xara said. The air seemed almost frozen and the room grew colder. Everything was unmoving and silent. It was a long few moments.

Romeo scoffed loudly and broke the silence, taking the keyring to Jesse's cell door. Jesse turned to look at him, her chains rattling. He was shoving every single key into the keyhole, getting angrier and angrier for each key. Jesse was shaking from it, causing the chains to continuously clink together. Finally, the cell door opened and Romeo slammed it against the bars. He knelt down beside Jesse and pulled out his axe.

"Romeo, what the hell-" Jesse sputtered as he raised his axe. She screamed when it came down, but was relieved to not feel a piercing pain, but instead the sound of chains shattering.

Romeo raised his axe again and chopped the chains around Jesse's neck. He grabbed her arm and stood up.

"Come on, everyone. We need to get out of here before she finds us," Romeo murmured angrily. He had a firm grip on Jesse's arm and was walking quickly back to the metal door.

"Let me go!" Jesse begged. Romeo let go of her and stopped.

"I-" Romeo stuttered, "I'm sorry Jesse I just-"

"It's ok, Romeo," Jesse replied. She moved ahead of him.

They exited through the metal door and outside of it stood the admin and Cassie Rose. She was glowing a fluorescent green and Cassie's red hair was illuminated in the light. The admin's eyes were glowing brighter than the sun itself out of pure anger.

"So you freed a prisoner who came here out of her own will and you thought you'd get away?" The admin snapped.

She stepped towards the group, eyeing Romeo. Once she reached him, she lifted his chin with her claws.

"Hows about we make a trade?"  The admin murmured, pulling Romeo away from the group.

"No, don't do this," Romeo begged. The admin shook her head.

"Shut up," She growled back.

The admin swiped her hand down and Romeo went to his knees. He was gasping in pure fear. She lifted her hand and a glowing beacon went from her hand to Romeo's chest. He was breathing heavily.

"Stop, please!" Romeo pleaded.

"I said SHUT UP!" The admin snarled.

Romeo's body began glowing and he stumbled to his feet. He looked down at his hands, terrified. He looked around himself and gasped in fear. A bright light burst through the hallway and everyone shielded their eyes. When the light dimmed, a weak Romeo laid on the ground. Jesse ran to his side.

"Romeo! Please, please, please wake up," She pleaded. Jesse shook his arm and was starting to cry. Romeo opened his eyes.

"She... really did it to me, huh," Romeo grunted. Jesse put her hand over her mouth.

He was an admin again. He sat up, clearly much larger than Jesse now. Most admins were taller and bigger than most humans, Romeo included. He had his knees pulled to his chest and Jesse had to get up on her knees just to reach eye level with him. Jesse noticed that his grey cheeks were stained with lava-like tears. She tried to put her hand against his cheek.

"Don't touch me, Jesse," Romeo said, swatting his hand away. Jesse balled her hand into a fist and sat back down.

"Romeo, are you... alright? Mentally, that is?" Jesse asked nervously.

"No, of course not," Romeo said, still crying a bit, "I just didn't want you to burn yourself on my tears. It's real lava, Jesse. Admin thing."

"Wow, really!?" Jesse said, standing back up on her knees. Romeo nodded. Xara stifled a laugh. Romeo shot her a dirty look and she backed off with a glare.