Chapter 5 - Found

Okay, I need to get better at putting these in, but HUGE trigger warning for blood and gore in this chapter.

They had finally reached the portal. Harper had kept giving Xara dirty looks the entire way there. Ever since Romeo had told her what happened, she hasn't seen the purple-haired woman the same. Xara noticed. She avoided Harper and even asked Romeo what was wrong. He gave no answer, knowing that she would be distraught over the true response.

The walk to the portal was near silent. Harper was still avoiding Xara. Romeo was uncomfortable with the way Harper was acting but didn't want to say anything. 

 When they reached the portal, Ivor rolled right into the portal, Harper following him. Jack and Petra went in together. Xara grabbed the two taller boys by their shirt collars and dragged them into the portal.

"You didn't need to tug me, Xara," Romeo complained.

"Sorry. Natural habit," Xara mumbled. Radar rubbed his neck.

Harper looked back at Xara and frowned. She turned back around and sped up her pace. Romeo walked faster as well. He tried to catch up with Harper, but he practically had to run to reach her. When he did, she slowed a bit.

"Harper, why do you keep giving Xara dirty looks? If it's about what I told you last night, stop," Romeo whispered.

"I just- I can't see her the same. I don't care if what you did was bad, she doesn't even know that she's in the wrong!" Harper whisper-yelled back. Romeo rolled his eyes and huffed, slowing down to catch up with Xara.

~~

Jesse sat in her cell. The only interesting thing that had happened in the past week was that Cassie opened the cell door. Jesse was tired. She picked up the flame she had been given, which should have burned out by now.

"Show me Lukas," Jesse sighed. The fire grew large and Lukas appeared in the flame. Surprise surprise, he was writing.

Jesse squinted to see what he was writing. She could barely make out what he was writing. Jesse was saddened by what he was writing, though. He was writing to her. Jesse only knew because he was mumbling the words he was writing. She felt terrible for leaving him behind. Jesse teared up. She couldn't bear to listen to what he was saying.

"Love- no... your friend, Lukas," Lukas mumbled, leaning back in his chair. He sighed heavily and Jesse wanted nothing more than to crawl through the flame and hug him.

"Oh Lukas," Jesse muttered to herself, "I promise I'll be back, I swear on it..."

Lukas crumpled up the letter and threw it away. Jesse let out a small 'no' as she reached out to the flame. She burnt her hand and Lukas's image distorted. Jesse hissed and pulled her hand back. She bit down on her fingertips to numb the pain.

"Would be pretty convenient to have your other arm right about now, huh?" A familiar voice called out. Jesse looked up and saw Cassie.

"Yeah, it would," Jesse barked, "but you cut it off."

"I don't see why it's such a big deal," Cassie said, leaning against the cell door, "You deserved it."

"How many times do I need to say that I'm sorry!?" Jesse cried, "If there was a way to save you, I would have done it, I swear. It gives you no reason to cut off my arm, Cassie!"

"Shut up you little brat!" Cassie snapped, slamming her fists against the bars, "You took everything from me, and that admin is the only way I would have ever made it out!"

Jesse skidded back. She wasn't expecting her to just... snap. Cassie was breathing heavily, glaring daggers at Jesse. She sighed, starting to cry.

"At least," Cassie gasped, "at least you let me have Winslow... my dear, sweet Winslow..."