Prologue

Usually the nighttime is a period of peace for Selene. The city is fast asleep for hours on end, so the world is her playground. Typically she sneaks out with a book to read under the moonlight. Sometimes she catches the train to ride to the fields of Amity, stealing fruit from the crops. It all depends on her mood and whatever the moon says. But ultimately, the nighttime is her time, in which she could be in peace for some time.

Tonight, however, is different. Selene tosses and turns, unable to get comfortable. Her mind races, deliberating on her aptitude results and pondering upon her future. What is the right choice? Is there a right choice to begin with?
She had told her parents that evening that her results were Candor. How she could come from the faction and be so good at lying was a mystery. Although, perhaps it's a truism that while you consciously learn how to exercise a virtue -in this case, honesty- you subconsciously learn the mechanisms of its antithesis.

You can lie to them, she thinks to herself. But don't try and fool yourself.

You know what you want, Selene. Choose yourself.

-

Eric sits at the edge of the ground of the train car, legs dangling in the wind. The night is coming to an end - it's time to return to Dauntless.

Tomorrow would be a busy day. There would be an influx of transfers, he is certain of that. Being a Dauntless leader, he has influence over them, and this excites him. Power is power. Why pretend otherwise?

At last he reaches the Dauntless headquarters. He hops off the train and watches as it drives away towards Erudite.