Chapter 12

The palpitating music and the drunk bodies fade into the background when I look into his eyes. Now, it is only the two of us, surrounded by the disco light which resembles a billion shooting stars.

Eric gently bites on my neck. I know it will leave marks, and the thought makes me sweat with excitement. I pull our bodies closer together and press firmly against him. His hands wander my body. Eventually one of them is once again at the back of my head, roughly pulling me back by the hair to look into my eyes. Then he kisses me again.

Everything from the fights earlier today to Kali and Luna becoming a thing to the upcoming mental evaluations - whatever those are gonna be like - fade away with the music.

"Let's get out of here," Eric says quietly.

-

I had left Eric's apartment at around 1 in the morning. It is now 2:30 and I still haven't slept properly yet. Eric told me that him and Four would be coming in around an hour to get us for some mysterious activity. Kali and Luna had been practically on their toes waiting on me to show up. When I finally did, they hugged me in relief. I proceeded to update them on all that's happened until now.

"So... are you two together or what?" asked Kali.

"Hell no," I replied. "Firstly that's kinda sus given that he's partially in charge of rankings, but also... I don't even know him that well yet. I'm not seeking out a whole relationship right now." In all honesty, I do like Eric. But I'm cautious, and I'm unwilling to let my guard down around someone who is practically a stranger. Sleeping with a person is quite different to letting them into the rest of your life.

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense. So you guys are just like... friends then?"

"Yeah," I said after a moment of consideration. "Special friends. Enough about me, though. You two are a thing, huh?"

"Yeah," said Luna shyly. The two of them looked at each other lovingly, which is when I got uncomfortable with the mushiness and called it a night. Now, I am tossing and turning, waiting on whatever activity Eric and Four have planned for this ungodly time of the night.

It isn't long after I manage to drift into a restless daze, almost asleep, when the lights are abruptly turned on and the metal pole is being slammed against the wall.

"Everybody up!" shouts Four. "Be at the train tracks in fifteen minutes."

-

The girls and I, exhausted from practically no sleep, hurry to the tracks, clumsily stumbling over pebbles in the dark. We are the first of the initiates to arrive, besides a couple of Dauntless-borns who are mingling off to the side. Four and Eric wait, arms crossed with stern looks on their faces. Four unrolls a map and examines it. I take his being distracted as an opportunity to stand next to Eric, who uncrosses his arms and relaxes his face as I approach.

I gently elbow him in the side.

"So what's this big activity you guys have planned?" I ask. He smiles, the moonlight reflecting off of a grill on one of his back teeth.

"It's a surprise," he replies. "I think you'll like it." I roll my eyes.

"I hate surprises. Tell me," I insist.

"Capture the flag," he says. "With a twist - pain-simulating guns." He was right; that did sound like fun.

"You gave in pretty easily."

"You're quite persuasive."

"I asked twice."

"That's more than enough for me."