Chapter 5: Midnight Meeting

Kaito walked over to the small clearing of grass outside. Others had already arrived and were waiting for the rest. His space-themed coat kept him warm in the cold breeze which made the trees sway quietly.

As he made slow progress towards the group, he stared at the sky above him. It was dark blue swirled with black and white stars gently gleaming in the distance. The moon was full and shone brightly; it soaked the academy in its colourless rays of light.

Walking towards the small huddle of people, he began to hear parts of their conversation.

"Uh, where are they? It's freezing out here!" Complained Himiko.

"Oh Himiko, I'm sure they'll be here soon! Don't worry your sweet, little heart about it," Tenko said softly as she wrapped her arms around her.

"H-huh?! O-okay Te-Tenko.." The mage mumbled.

He saw Rantaro roll his eyes at them with a smirk just as Kaito had sat down.

The astronaut also heard Kokichi mutter under his breath, "lovebirds".

Momota laughed silently behind his hand as Kaede joined. The last person to come was Miu.

" Hey, Kaito, how're you doing with that despair disease? Did the cure work?" Asked Kiibo

"Yup, did just the trick!" Kaito said confidently. "I feel like my old self already!"

"Praise to Atua! He has cured our friend!" Cried out Angie suddenly raising her hands above her head.

"Yeah..no. Pretty sure it was Tsumugi." Stated Miu said in a low voice, glaring at the sculpture.

"Anyway. Can we just talk about Shuichi? I feel as though none of us has any leads in him," Kiibo suggested, trying to stay on topic.

"Let's be honest, do any of us think he's left his room?" Rantaro started.

Most of the ultimates stayed silent.

"No, I don't think he's been anywhere but his stupid lab and locked up dorm room," Miu replied.

"Yeah, I mean- no one has seen him, right?" Kokichi muttered.

"You sound like you're worried. Are you lying or telling the truth?" The inventor questioned.

"But Gonta no think Shuichi lie. Shuichi says the truth. Not like Kokichi," Gonta said loudly.

"Oh, be quiet Gonta," snapped the supreme leader.

Kaito sighed. He doubted they'd get anywhere near the truth. Shuichi was a detective, he wouldn't be as careless as he had been. He had forgotten to take his temporary meds before the previous trial; he wasn't even in a rush before the class trial.

"Has anyone tried greeting into his lab after we split up?" Quired Kirumi. "More to the point, has anyone been successful?"

Kaito responded immediately, "Your joking! No one would try to get in-"

"Nope," Kokichi said loudly. "Went back with Korekiyo and Ryoma, just in case we missed something,"

"Why would you try and get in?" Kaito said to him outraged. "He clearly said he didn't want anyone in there!"

"Oh, shut up!" Retorted Kokichi. "Your boyfriend is hiding something. And we want to find out!"

Before the enraged space-traveller could argue back, Korekiyo noticed something that startled everyone.

"I feel as though we are being watched.." He said, seeming slightly surprised.

They all spun around to see where the anthologist was looking. They didn't see anyone though.